Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias - what bass is this?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Aug 29, 2002.

1. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Theres a guy trying to sell this bass here and he doesn't know its model. He only said it is a Tobias made in USA, Bartolini pickups, and its a BOLT-ON.

Could someone tell me which model is this bass (see pictures)??? Thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ask him for the serial number. That will tell us when and where it was made. Then you can email Michael Tobias, if it is a pre Gibson, and find out what model it is. Pre Gibson bolt ons are very rare. I have only seen a couple.

3. Hipnotic

Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    That model is the "killer-b".

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It looks like a gibson Tobias,and I don't remember the killer B having an exotic top.

5. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thanks! I'll ask the serial number, and will post here if I get it.

JAUQO III-X, yeah, that's why I didn't think it was a gibson tobias. That looks like zebrawood, and Gibson site doesn't seem to give that option. But it looks alot like the Killer B...

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would have to agree that it's a zebrawood killer-b. mike t from, time to time, it would seem, build basses here and there that were different from the norm. el-coolio bass, though

7. All the Killer-B's I've seen are single P/U basses....but I'm not saying that all Killer-b's are like that.

But man...that think is 100% killer.

I really want a pre gibson tobias. Thanks for making it even more clear :)

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yup, it's a Killer B, solid zebrawood body. I've got a good friend that has that exact bass. It may be a Gibson-era bass, they did make them that way. My friend's bass is a Gibson/Tobias, but it's a good one. Only the serial number will confirm it.

9. Omar _Bass_PR

Omar _Bass_PR

May 20, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    that's a beautyful Killer-B kid! go getit!

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    are you sure Gard.every Killer B I've seen had only one Bart Pick up and the tops were never exotic.

11. Hey boogienight, How much is that guy asking for the bass? (in US $)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jauqo, I thought that the Killer B was the 2 pickup model, and the Growler was the one pickup model.

Here is a Killer B:

[​IMG]

Here is a Growler:

[​IMG]

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    To be honest Jeff I see so many Basses that Im lost on this one:D

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah Killer-b is my vote.. I was actually in a store and a guy had brought one in the other day.. I was able to play it for about 10 minutes.. they are great.. I would go for it.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Yep Killer B it is.a friend of mine has one and I saw it today.depending on the price,Id say go for it.

16. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thank you for all the answers!!! Yeah, that seems a real cool bass.

Luisnovelo, the guy is asking R$5000.00 what means more than US$ 1500.00 but he is selling that for a long time (at a brazilian auction site like Ebay) and nobody has bought it yet.

Well, to say the truth, I don't have even near that amount to spend right now... I was curious more than anything else. But I'll be asking him the S/N anyway. ;)

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    This store in Chicago has a Killer B in ECondition with a Lacewood top for $1000,00 but Im sure they would come down.

Musicians Network 773-728-2929