Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveBob, Jul 8, 2001.

1. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    Hey..I'm thinking about getting a Tobias 6 String pro ...has anyone ever played it before..I played the 4 string model and it was pretty good..and bass player gave it a nice review..But i was also thinking about the 5 string fretless..i dont know what one to get

2. I've got one, which I bought because I figured it was a decent platform for making a great bass out of. It was OK as it comes from the factory, now it's great. I did the following mods to it:
    Bartolini pickups and NTBT preamp,
    Top model Gotoh tuners,
    Top model Gotoh quick release bridge,
    Switchcraft output socket,
    shielded cavity,
    Large white dot markers on the side of the neck,
    reworked the nut,
    had the frets levelled, dressed, and the ends rounded over.

Now it plays like a dream, sounds wonderful, and the B string is great, especially with Slowounds on.
    The only drawback is it does'nt balance too well, so a 4 hour gig gets a bit tiring, but what the heck?

3. basstime

basstime

Jun 24, 2001
    I have a lefty toby deluxe 4......it's a great bass, esp for the price ($260!!)

sound is really nice, color/finish is excellent!!
    seems very well made

go for it!

4. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    nice...thanks..i might get it in a month or two

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tried a few of these including a 6-string in London and disliked them for all the reasons that Marty mentions, but also I didn't like the neck profile. The "real" Tobias basses have the assymetric neck thing and feel wonderful under your hands, but I just couldn't get on with these. Is yours a 6 string Marty? What's the neck like on this - the ones I tried were just too "chunky" for me!