1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tobias

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I recently played a Walnut Killer B 4 in a music shop, and holy crap, it was beautiful. It played great, but the tone was spectacular. I sounded like Stanley freakin' Clarke through a 10 watt Crate practice amp. Why oh why haven't I heard more about these basses before?

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Because you haven't used the search function?

Just a guess. :ninja:

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    That's not what I mean. Of course I've known they existed, but nobody talked about them like Sadowsky or Alembic or any of those other brands that are too expensive to have dealers near me.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    In the '80's and the early '90's Tobias' were talked about a lot but they're not as fashionable now.

And my '93 5 string Killer B kicks booty ;)

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    If you think that was nice, try a pre-Gibson Tobias, or an MTD American bass :)

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Because they have just as many detractors as they do fans.

7. Well, they are not toalked about much because they are not made by the "Man" himself anymore. They are hit or miss quality etc since Gibson bought them. But, probably more on the miss side. Skip that Tobias and get yourself an MTD - either Korean or USA.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

Some controversy on the quality, but some people love them. They DO get talked about ehre though - hey are right now! There's often an active thread about Tobias basses, but it's often folks discussing very different opinions of the Gibson models.

I wouldn't say "The new ones are junk, buy an MTD" to someone who's played a new one and loved it. I'd say "If you checked it out, and it's perfect, buy it if you're in the market for a bass." They may not all be great but they can't all be junk, and the OP knows better than any of us what the OP likes.

Seems like people who have played Killer Bs give more favorable reports than the other models generate.

You won't hear about them in "the real world." Music store employees are not going to talk aout them. Bass magazines may have one in one issue, but that would be it - this is true of just about any high end bass though.

9. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    This.

Try an MTD USA and you will never look back.

10. I recently played a brand spanking new Tobias Classic and Killer B. The classic was incredible. The Killer B was alright. The $259 Peavey Millenium BXP5 next to it blew it away. And the Classic at $3500 was no better than my MTD Saratoga 5 that I paid $1100 for new.
    But just one mans opinion.

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

Personally, the most recently manufactured Tobias that I have liked was a '92 Killer B. Since then the ones I've tried have been at best unimpressive to me, but since some love them I can accept that perhaps I haven't seen a "good one."

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    +1

Granted, I haven't played a Gibson Tobias in several years, but was highly unimpressed when I did. For similar money, the MTD is in a different league altogether...

13. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Sigh. I keep looking for new Tobias basses where I can find them, and trying them out. Quality remains unpredictable. If you find a good one, it's as good as anything in its price range. But too many of them aren't good ones for Gibson to improve its reputation on these things. I've seen a few that are just awful.

And as a result, I speculate that Tobias basses suffer from a great deal of confirmation bias. If you "already know" they're crap, you'll play one and sure enough, you were right. Those people unfamiliar with them entirely, seem to react just as Sound Chaser did, quite regularly. Wow, this is a super bass! Why aren't these touted regularly in glowing terms?

MTDs are different instruments, mostly related to Gibson's Tobias line for historical reasons rather than similarity of the instruments themselves. And MTD has a well-deserved reputation of producing superior products reliably. Certainly they're a safer bet, but it's not the same bass at all.

I seem to be the only one here who has ever ordered a Tobias bass of my specification straight from the Arkansas factory, without first trying it out. In my opinion, I received a work of art every which way - wood selection and cut, craftsmanship, sound, feel, fit and finish.

Based on my experience with these so far, I would order another from the factory, but I would ALSO cross my fingers and pray. If I'm lucky, I receive a bass like no other (not *better* than any other, simply unique and wonderful). If I'm not lucky, well, Corporate Gibson is slightly more difficult to contact than President Bush.

14. I think it is because of the hit or miss quality of the Gibson Tobias basses. I bought one of the 5 string models and the quality was really poor. I loved the neck and tone so much that I put up with some of the poor quality. I ended up selling it because it just didn't feel comfortable to play standing up with a strap. I tried it out in the music store sitting down and it was great.