Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xerogh, Oct 11, 2002.

1. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hey, does anyone out there have a new Tobais? I always like the old ones but they are hard to come by now. I've been looking at the Pro 5-B Custom, but you can only get them online from musicyo.com. So I can't try one out.....

I've play a bunch of others that I'm not impressed with (asides from the Ken Smith that's way out of my price range!). So I may be willing to take gamble here (they have 90 day money back thing).

Another one that I was slightly impressed with was the Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 String. Although I'd like to try out one of Stiletto Studio-5's, it has a better pickup system and better wood (Mahogany/Bubinga).

OK.... I'm rambling here... I've played too many basses!

What do you think????

Thanks

X

2. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Do you mean the MTD 435, 535, 635 that he makes by hand in NY State, or the ones that are coming over from Korea (Kingston, Sratoga?)

All are fine, versatile, instruments. I have a MTD 535, and it is a light, versatile, beautiful instrument.

[​IMG]

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I believe he is referring to the new toby pro line owned by gibson, available at musicyo.com, that look like the old Tobias basses that were once hand made by Mike...

4. Screw the toby-get a Kingston or Heir 5 (they are real tobias basses)

5. God, every time I look at that bass I have to look agian-just to make sure it's actually wood! :D

6. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Yes, it is a stunning piece of maple burl. I love all of Mike's tops, but this one ins totally insanely good looking. The one I have on order has just been glued up, and should be as equally striking...:)

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    What, one just isn't enough??!!!:D

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yeah, it's sorta like that burl cort curbow luthite ;)

9. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Bought a left handed Toby Deluxe 4 string two years ago (pd $270). Great bass for the $!
    However, just ordered a lefty MTD Kingston from Musician's Friend for only $299....may be selling the Toby next week!

10. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    …MF seem to be blowing out these basses for some strange reason. They’ve only got righties left at $399.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tell Mike I said hi;)