Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toby D.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flea Claydirnt, May 15, 2001.

1. What do you folks have to say about the TOBIAS Toby Deluxe basses? In my search for a new, affordable bass I somehow missed these. These babys are dirt cheap. Does the quality reflect this? $270 for an active 4 string bass sounds pretty cheap to me. I have been looking for an all maple bass (neck & body) and guess what the Tobys are. My origional price range was $650 below but now it is under $400. Most of the argument for the Soundgears (which I do not like, although I like the company Ibanez) is that they are cheap, put it seems there are others cheap ones. Are these (the Tobys) any good?

2. Guess nobody's familiar with these, or maybe everybody hates me :( .

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry man, I'm only familiar with teh Toby Pro series...but if those reflect the Delux series, they should be OK...sorry can't help you more, but Tobias are a pretty decent bass, so if you did get one, you wouldn't be dissapointed. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

4. Thanks for the reply Brendan. I did a search before I posted this thread and it turned up nothing. When nobody replied I did another search and found out why nobody probably replied. I appreciate you taken the time since nobody even bothered to tell me that these basses have been discussed before.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No problem man!

6. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    they have rather crappy electronics, but other than that they seem ok. Electronic transplants are easy. Have you looked at the Cort Curbow? It's a great bass, especially for the price. Look into used basses too.

7. I saw the bassist for collective soul with one of those Cort Curbows, I'm sure he could afford whatever he wants so I was surprised to see him with one. Of course it may have been a real non-Cort Curbow. What kind of sound does luthite produce anyway. And what the hell is ebonol :) !