SOLD Toby pro 5 string trade feeler

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by capnsandwich, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, I'm sitting here looking at a bass I don't think will get much playing by me simply because the string spacing is just too narrow for my chubby fingers, since I like slapping a lot. It's perfect for fingerstyle and it is slapable but it's just not comfortable for my hands to get in there underneath the strings because my hands are so big. I'm a BIG dude. I swapped out the original pickups and preamp, which were Korean junk, and dropped a pair of Bartolini xxM45c quad coil pickups and a Bartolini NTMB 18v preamp, that upgrade alone cost me $600. Those 2 modifications have made this middle of the road back up bass a true professional sounding and gigging #1 go-to bass. It has a walnut body, neck through maple and walnut construction, 34" scale and is an amazing sounding bass. I'm a little reluctant to let this one go but I just modded my Lakland 55-01 with a set of Nordstrand Big Singles and added a double battery box in the back to make it an 18v set up. I had a guy from a good sized church in the area beg me to sell this bass to him but back then this was my main bass so I kept telling him no until he quit begging me. The tone of this bass is incredible. I get nothing but compliments about this bass.

I'm really looking for a Lakland Skyline JO5 or DJ5, maybe a Fender 5 string jazz or something like that. I'm open minded so if something catches my eye I could be making a deal with you. Run something by me and you may just get me to let this go. Here's some pics. PM me for more info/pics. I'll sell this bass outright for $600 + shipping OBO because my GAS has hit an all time high. I hate the way my mind works sometimes.

bassfolder005.jpg
    CIMG0181.jpg
    CIMG0180.jpg

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    PM sent...

3. pm's answered to this point. So far, so good. Keep 'em coming. I'm getting closer to letting this go. I won't play it until after New Year so I won't fall in love with it again.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey...that Lakland 55-01 looks familiar!

Bump for a great TBer.

Riis

5. You wouldn't recognize it if you heard it. I swapped out the pups with some Nordstrand Big Singles and added another battery to the NTMB. Sounds like a monster!

Thanks for the bump and the kind words!

6. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!! Just wishing everyone a prosperous and bass playing filled year. Make it the best year of your life!

7. Had the day off so I can finally get some outside pics, (when the sun's actually still out.)

bassfolder016.jpg
    bassfolder020-1.jpg
    bassfolder021.jpg

8. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Happy new year bump for a good guy and a good bass!!!!

9. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    thats a beautiful tobias...i have a question though thats somewhat unrelated...why do people put those little hair band looking things around the neck of basses up by the nut? i've seen it here and there but never knew why...does that do anything?

10. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    People use those hairband things to deaden and muffle the strings if you are doing tapping or percussive techniques. Watch Victor Wooten from Bass Day Live and you will see it in action.
    I hope that helps.
    Peace,
    Chris

11. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    PM Sent :hyper:

12. erinn

erinn

Jan 2, 2008
    pm sent

13. Yep, that's why I do it. I'm turning into a slapaholic because I'm addicted to funk. That's the main reason I'm wanting to trade this bass. Even though this bass has an awesome slap tone IMO, my sausage fingers have a hard time slapping on anything narrower that 18.5-19 mm string spacing at the bridge. Back when I was a straight fingerstyle player this bass was my #1. Once I got the Lakland upgraded that changed, not because of the tone but because of the feel.

14. Price drop to $600 + shipping, or still open to trading it.

15. This one is traded folks. Than you Kitsapbass for the trade and thanks to everyone for their interest and offers. May you all have a prosperous and wonderful new year.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.