TOBY PRO 6, Ibanez SR1016 or CortCurbow 6(with Bart Elec/preamp) ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Wich one¿?¿
    I can get all em for the same price...
    The Toby 6 NEW for $499 (No case)
    the Ibanez for $640 USED (O/HSC)
    and the Curbow for $500 maybe.. (USED Gig Bag)

How good is the Curbow for slapping??
    I will never have the chance to test any of these basses.. I nead reviews , please help.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Toby 6 has a gig bag, a pretty nice one actually, if you're referring to the MusicYo bass.
  3. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    These are all 34" scale basses, is that what you want. For about the same price you can have a Dean which is a 35" scale. It makes a difference on the low B string.
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I wont even consider buying a Dean 6 String bass...
    6 String basses are very sensitive about the craftmanship ans selection of components, and I really dont think that the Dean Edge 6 Quilted is any good.

I trust Ibanez, at least my ATK300 has performed Elitely in the last 4 Years.. and I've had also played the SR506 wich was the one i used in my last gigs (I borrowed it from a friend)
  5. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Have you played the Dean6? It is a solid bass with an excellent B string and really nice action. It has to be one of the best buys...and most underrated basses on the market.
    Are there better six strings? Of course, but the Dean makes a quality six, affordable to a lot of players.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State

The Cort/Cubow is great for slapping (In their ads, they call it the "slapper"). Also, the lower cut-away is so deep that your right hand has all the freedom in the world.

However, out of your latest short list of basses, the used Ibanez SR1016 is probably the nicest one (and I don't care for Ibanez that much).

I also agree with you about the Dean (I live near a dealer that has a ton of Dean basses on hand). The Deans are a good value, but there are better basses out there for a little more $$.

I've never had my hands on a Toby Pro, so I've got nothing to say about them.

Good luck choosing a 6'r! (I'm also toying with the idea of buying a 6-string :) )
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    thanks for the Input on these bases, As I mentioned I dont have the chance of testing the basses myself because I live in Ecuador South America, and there are no "REAL" instrument dealers around, and the ones that exist charge way too much for an instrument. That's why Im buying Online.

Anyone has played the Cort Artisan A6 Bass??? What about it?
    I may deal with somebody about $500 with Hardshell case...
    What about playability??
    THe best point for me to consider is the action, I really like a very low setup but without having fret buzz.
    Fretwork has to be very good. (I dont think a Dean can be that good, I have played one, and It sucked.)