Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toby-Pro6 pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wadge, Sep 15, 2004.

1. I've seen a couple of threads where newbies ask which bass they should get and sometimes the Tobias Toby-Pro gets mentioned, then slammed.

The reason given is that the pick-ups are weak (Tobias korean pickups). I am myself an owner of a Toby-Pro6 and can attest to this fact. When A-B'ing between basses, all sound louder than the Tobias, including my 79 fender P bass (still my favourite bass).

This said, I believe most of the reviews of the Tobt are too harsh. Aside from the pick-ups and wiring, the bass is very well constructed. It is built like a tank, action is superb with no buzzes whatsover and the tone is really good too (IMO).

I also own a Yamaha Trb-6P (Pattitucci model), the fender P, and Da Capo Fretless and the recording engineer (where I do session work) keeps asking me to use Tobias. He's even borrowed it (for too long now :eyebrow: ).

Seeing how I am quite happy with the sound but would welcome any improvement and would like stronger pick-ups, would you think that a switch to Bartolinis would make sense.

All comments appretiated.

2. I'm thinking of getting a tobias toby pro 6, or perhaps a Peavey Cirrus BXP.

3. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004

switching to the bartolinis woud have to improve the sound of the Tobias pro 6 !!! :bassist:

4. the Tobias Toby Pro's woods are really nice, it has a fat sound with the stock pickups, the neck is real fast, and it has looks to die for.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Most definitely -- it's like night and day. Go for an all-Bart setup, you won't be sorry.

I'm selling mine, but only because I have too many six-strings. But the modded Toby is a great bass.

-Aram

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I once replaced the pickups in a decent "budget" bass which I loved the sound of with "better" pickups. It never sounded better than with the original stock pickups, only different. I liked the originals better. Waste of time, money, and effort. Don't do it. Just crank the amp louder. :cool:

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Philbiker -

Did you replace the preamp too? Sometimes replacement pickups don't jive with the stock preamp...With the Toby the all-Bart setup sounds eons better than the stock setup. I'll take the Pepsi challange any day on that one. Anyone have stock Toby soundclips?

-Aram

8. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Hey Wadge,
    I hafta agree on the Toby Pro basses. Construction is great! I have 2 5 stringers - 1 with flame maple body wings and 1 with Bubinga body wings and and Asym neck.
    I've been wanting to do the Bart-swap for some time, but I'm unsure exactly which pickups i should get without having the pickup cavities re-routed.
    Does anyone have exact model#'s from Bartolini that would suffice?
    Oh, I was really close to doing acomplete Alembic pickup and electronics swap instead, using their MXY pup's. I wonder if anyone has tried the Alembics. Pros/cons?

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    If I can find the recipt (and it's written on there) I'll let you know.

-Aram

10. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Aram,
    That would great! Then I wouldn't have any excuses not to do the swap!
    Ya know, i wonder if mine being a 5-stringer will make a difference or not? I'll try to remember to measure the pickup cavities.
    Thanks!

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Oops -- I'm sorry I thought you had a 6er...

Well, I'll let you know the dimensions regardless (if I can find them), but I would defintitely confirm them with a Bart rep (dealer) regardless, since the 5's will probably be different. I remember it was a pain to get the dimensions though -- they needed SO many different measuremnts for each pickup.

12. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    ok, the pickup cavities for the Toby Pro-5 is:
    4.125"x1.125"
    I wonder if its different for the 6er?

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    IIRC, they wanted the distance from the outermost strings over each pickup...I think there was other stuff involved as well -- I just remember it being exhasperating. :D

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The bass was passive. Soundclips are irrelevant IMO.
    If you're really "quite happy with the sound" then what "improvements" are you expecting from a pickup swap? Higher output? Just crank the friggin' volume knob on your amp and you'll get higher output for $0. You may be happier with the Barts, but I'm not a big fan on throwing money at something I already like.

Again, I've changed pickups on a bass where I was "quite happy with the sound" and regretted it. It didn't end up any worse, but not any better either. It was a wash.