Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

toby's not on musicyo.com ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superflybass, Apr 18, 2005.

1. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    hey I at a music stor this weekend and started talking to the owner about the Trace elliott / peavey thing that happend last week and he was telling me that some thing is up with gibson and there trying to get money fast for some thing not shure on what!! and this is all talk around town not fact but then I went home and checked online at music yo.com and the tobys were not there

hmm and one that works as a gibson / tobias dealers know did they also sell tobias ??? or just not doing the toby line anymore ??

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    There has been a lot of speculation lately that Gibson is insolvent, or trying to create their own chain of guitar centerish stores.

3. superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    it would be cool if someone got there hands on that line and did something with it

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This is a shot in the dark, but if Gibson tries to do it-i think Fender would stand a chance too. E.g. we start seeing all these franchised guitar stores with the names of the mother companies. Oh well. I have no idea what is going on nor does it matter overly much to me. :bassist:

5. They had enough money to buy the naming rights to Universal Amphitheatre.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I was quite disappointed when I found out. I've been SERIOUSLY wanting a Tobias Toby Pro-5 Violin Burst. I played a Pro-4 for 30 minutes at an impromptu set. The bass player wanted me to take over so he called me out of the crowd and handed me his bass. The tone was very very nice and the neck was smooth as silk. Little did I know it was only a $450-$500 bass at the time. I thought it was a $2000 Tobias bass model.

I REALLY hope they up the "quality consistency" and keep on making these basses. Tobias design at a decent price. ME WANT!

-Eric.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's a shame - those Tobys were nice.

What happened with Trace Eliot and Peavey last week?

8. Peavey is now the American Distributor for Trace Elliot 2005, which apparantly is no longer owened by Gibson.

9. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, I wonder if Trace Eliot will start making amps again. Does this mean my local Peavey Dealer is also a Trace delaer? I love my little Trace Eliot Boxer 30 practice amp!!!!!

10. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    I love the old Trace Eliot amps also. If your local Peavey dealer does start selling them, you better hope you don't get a Peavey amp with a Tace Eliot Label and price tag. :eyebrow:

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If they are built in England, by the same guys that used to build them, I doubt very seriously that they will be 'a Peavey amp with a Tace Eliot Label and price tag.'

:rolleyes:

12. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    thats what I said last week when I heard about the Trace/Peavey merger!
    I've said it dozens of times around here and I'll say it again, the Toby-Pro basses are great for the money! I even own 2! It's a shame to see them unavailable now, though I don't think anyone will miss Gibsons latest batch of US-made Tobias basses.
    Wouldn't it be great if Mike T. bought his old company back from Gibson and started making his Neck-thru 'Tobias' basses again? I've personally always preferred their headstock and body over the MTD's, not to mention nek-thru vs. bolt-on necks.
    Here's another scenerio: what if Peavey bought 'Tobias' from Gibson, as well as Trace? Let's face it, their Cirrus basses are pretty slammin! If peavey could show the folks at the Arkansas Gibson factory how to make a decent Neck-thru bass, and price them similarly to the Cirrus, it might be a homerun. All I ask is to keep Peavey pickups and electronics out of it, and leave the Bartolini stuff in there. :bag:

13. superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    I think if they did buy tobias they would make them in there own plant because of what I know the basses are made in the piano buliding of gibson I think baldwin I cant think right now

14. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I emailed MusicYo! and they came back (extremely quickly, I might add) saying that Tobias Toby's will start being sold in stores across the nation. If they start showing up at GCs, I will be quite happy. I just want it to start happening soon since I want one.

-Eric.

15. Music.yo in the UK is now being handled by the Sound Control/Academy of Sound chain.

I asked their buyer about getting a Tobias fretless, and he said that they had twenty outlets, and they order basses from the factory 'one container load at a time', so he would add twenty fretlesses to the next order, and they would be in in about 2-3 months (about now).

I get the impression that they will extend the range a bit at a time, as they see how they sell.

16. I would openly welcome any chain that put up a threat to the craptasticness of Guitar Center.

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Gibson is craptasticness! :p

Thats funny I was just checking out the MusicYo website wanting to check out a Toby. :eek: Where did they go? I was thinking about getting a Toby for my first five string.

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. :(

18. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Thats stinks! I liked having a bass that people don't see every day. My Tobys used to get a lot of inquiries at gigs about them. Now they're gonna be sitting in GC's around the world right beside the ibanez's and MIM fenders. :spit:
    FOR SALE!

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I got one word for you: Wishnevsky.

20. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I think I'll pass on the Wishy. :rolleyes: Thanks anyways.
    However, I bet that would get some inquiries at gigs, too! But alas, I would need a fretted bass which Wishy doesn't make.