1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Today, i found the next bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, May 10, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    So today I had my audition at Humber. I took a stop in at Long and Mcquade and played every bass they had. Literally. and made a decision on my next bass.

Figjam, you win. It's a musicman.

Sterling, Blueburst, Dual Humbuckers, White pickguard, 3 band EQ and a maple neck and fingerboard.

I played other MM's, a Modulus, a Warwick Thumb 6 (which i swear was like 27 lbs) but I decided on this.

It's gonna cost about 1650.00

-Mark

2. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Great bass. Very premium price. You can do better than that with a little looking I think. (price wise I mean):)

3. excellent choice. welcome to the mm family :)

4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yea probably haha. But this felt right :p
    Slapping felt weird. Cause there's a humbucker in the way.

I'm debating on going with the Stringray. But in a Blueburst.

-Mark

5. slapping - weird? idn i've never played a sterling.. but on the SR and SUB slapping is so easy and sounds perfect.. my .02

6. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    No no. It sounded great. But because of the humbucker, it got in the way.

-mark

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Both pups has the coil selector in the dual HH sterling? If so it one of the most versatile bass ever.

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    wow! that is very expensive... lol... don't forget to post pics when you get it! i have yet to see a Sterling with dual humbuckers.

9. I originally wanted one of those dual humbucker musicmans. I decided against it and got a Stingray as im starting to get into slapping. The single pickup stingray is still a versatile bass. If you don't mind sitting down and playing with the eq and experimenting with where you attack the strings (bridge or neck or in between) then there is a whole range of sound in there, no matter what anyone says. IMHO if someone says that they are very limited, then I don't think they have really spent time messing around with one.

Go the Stingray!!!! But thats just my opinion :D
    Either way they are both great Musicmans so, welcome to the club!! :bassist:

10. Incoming Figjam post in 5...4...3...

11. 2 ...

12. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'll beat figgy to it. I hope. When slapping on a double humbucker bass, i find its a little easier to actually strike the strings on top of the last fret. for double thumb, you dont actualyl go through the strings, and you'll get that premium MM slap tone if you hit it just right on the last fret (or right before that toward the bridge).

that being said, my SR4 Antique Burst with a maple neck cannot be beat :cool:

13. It is that expensive because it is in canada :upset: stinking expensive basses.

lowsound

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I was thinking on the Stingray. But I love the feel of the thinner necks and lighterbodies.

They had a Dual Humbucker Stingray there. It was Cherry Red with a clear pickguard. I just didn't like the feel of it. Goregous bass.

It was...1450.00? Something like that.
    And yea. 1650.00 is expensive up here. But for a bass that feels, and sounds right to me, i'll spend the money.

-Mark

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've heard good things about Humber.

16. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario

Thanks. Me too. I hope all goes well. I'll let you guys know in about 2 weeks.

-Mark

17. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the great santini predicts
    [in regards to Humber]
    "you will do your homework on the MM , but the bulk of ensemble and playing well with others , on the fretless"

santini's $.02 :smug:

18. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't know what you're talking about :) but I played "the chicken" as my jazz piece with the bass professor on Bass #2! haha

-Mark

19. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    With the Canadian dollar being at 0.90+ I'd consider going to the states to get a bass. Especially since your in the Falls. Of course, when you drive back across the border, you get hit with GST, and duty (if it wasn't made in North America).

There are ways around this.... [disclaimer=on] not claiming it, lower value receipt, having a US citizen bring it for you, etc, etc [disclaimer=off].

Humber is great. Try to get into upright as soon as you get there. It's key to getting into the jazz ensembles - and lessons from Don Thompson.

Did you go to the L&M on Ossington? There's a MM Fender there that's a pretty good deal. I think under $900 because it was a rental. It's in pretty good shape too.

20. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Go stateside and save some cash. The Canadian dollar is the strongest it has been in 20 years. Even with the exchange rate, you'll keep money in your pocket. Why blow money unnecessarily?