1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Today I got a Fretless Fender Jazz and a Fender Bass Amp for Christmas... I have a ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brink22, Dec 25, 2003.

1. brink22

brink22

Oct 5, 2003
    How do I get good Jazz tones out of my Jazz Bass? Do I drop any of the levels, or the mids? Thanks

2. well for the Jaco-ish sound i solo the bridge pickup and play with fingers towards the bridge.

i keep the EQ flat and the tone knob turned up about halfway.

that should give you the sound you are looking for.

(i have two fender jazz basses and a fender bassman amp as well)

3. I play a Jazz with both pickups on full, and tone about half way, playing over the neck pickup. That's a nice low growly tone, and it's sometimes cool to solo the neck pickup.

Have fun with you're new bass :)

4. lucky bastard, i wish a had an ampeg 8*10" cab + SVT-2PRO under the christmas three, but according to the size, it's not my lucky day.
    Anyway, congrats on the new bass and amp. I have a mexican fender Jazz, en play mostly with the 2 PU's

5. When I play J's, I always keep both volume at full, and the tone at full.

But sometimes, I lighten up on the neck p'up so it gets jazzier.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You will get alot of different opinions try 'em all. I have my bridge pick up on full, my neck pick up about 90%. The tone at 50% I usually finger pick at the bridge pick up or halfway between the two pick ups. Sometimes I finger pick up by the neck when I want a duller thicker sound. usually on ballads.