Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Today I got a Fretless Fender Jazz and a Fender Bass Amp for Christmas... I have a ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brink22, Dec 25, 2003.

1. brink22

brink22

Oct 5, 2003
    How do I get good Jazz tones out of my Jazz Bass? Do I drop any of the levels, or the mids? Thanks

2. well for the Jaco-ish sound i solo the bridge pickup and play with fingers towards the bridge.

i keep the EQ flat and the tone knob turned up about halfway.

that should give you the sound you are looking for.

(i have two fender jazz basses and a fender bassman amp as well)

3. I play a Jazz with both pickups on full, and tone about half way, playing over the neck pickup. That's a nice low growly tone, and it's sometimes cool to solo the neck pickup.

Have fun with you're new bass :)

4. lucky bastard, i wish a had an ampeg 8*10" cab + SVT-2PRO under the christmas three, but according to the size, it's not my lucky day.
    Anyway, congrats on the new bass and amp. I have a mexican fender Jazz, en play mostly with the 2 PU's

5. When I play J's, I always keep both volume at full, and the tone at full.

But sometimes, I lighten up on the neck p'up so it gets jazzier.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You will get alot of different opinions try 'em all. I have my bridge pick up on full, my neck pick up about 90%. The tone at 50% I usually finger pick at the bridge pick up or halfway between the two pick ups. Sometimes I finger pick up by the neck when I want a duller thicker sound. usually on ballads.