Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Today, I got my first DB!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Unchain, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    It's a Kay, from 1963 (thanks DZ). Anyway, it's a model C-1. It has lots of dings, but no cracks or problems at all, besides; I think the dings add a lot of charecter. It sounds incredible, and it came with a nice German bow. I like it a lot. It came with stick on fret markers which are kinda tacky, but I guess will help me learn. They're placed at 2,4,5, and 7. Also, can anyone reccommend a good rosin? I've heard Pops is good. Thanks, and pics are coming!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    your bass is from 1963. Do you have a teacher ?

3. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Woah, guess they were wrong! Oh well, didn't pay for it; I inherited this bass. I have a steller bass teacher that's been playing pretty much since the Fender bass was introduced (he's ~65) and he plays an electric upright. I also have the orchestra teacher who will help a lot.

4. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Also, DZ. What is the model number? I seriously just can't tell.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that i do not know...

6. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I looked at it hard, and looked at other pics of Kays/ and I'm postive it's a C-1.

7. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Congrats and welcome to the darkside. And may you never go back ... :D

~ jtg

8. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'll still be flipping back and forth, but I'm sure I'll never give this up.

9. Read the rosin & bow threads for more on Pops, etc. Pops is one of three rosins I have tried and like. If you ever play outdoors in 45 degree weather you will appreciate it. It's kind of gooey in the summer. Also I find that I prefer it for the B-string on my 5-er. I think the fatter the string, the softer the rosin you need. Pops is the softest I would play with. I also like Carlsson and Hidersine. Carlsson is good if you have just the regular EADG config. Hidersine #2 is good to cut the Pops with. I have recently started putting different rosin on different sections of the bow, because I am usually starting the BB close to the frog, so the Pops goes there, the Carlsson further up the stick. This is just my opinion after 2 and 1/2 years practicing with a bow.

Congrats on the Concert Kay. That's the gamba one I think. Always my favorite.