Today is Jazz Day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by colcifer, Apr 30, 2012.

1. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Says who? Unesco.

My recommended Jazz Day listening (for those few of you who don't read my blog, where this will be posted later):

African Waltz
    Bag's Groove
    Duke Ellington and John Coltrane
    Five Peace Band Live
    Four
    Ken Burns Jazz Collection: Louis Armstrong
    Matador
    Milestones
    Million Dollar Legs
    Mint Jam
    Saudades
    Thieves and Poets
    Twins I & II

Enjoy Jazz day 2012!

2. Oddly I am in the same mood but have some different choices.
    Started out with Brubeck's 'Time Out'. Stanley Clarke Trio 'Jazz in the Garden' Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' Monk Quartet with Coltrane 'at Carnegie Hall'.
    I may pick a few things off your list as well.

3. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    I don't know "Jazz in the Garden" but the rest are classics!

4. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
  5. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    Yeppers.

6. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    Nice!! Every day is jazz day in our house...I'm pretty sure I've earned some sort of honorary jazz degree just living with my husband and learning along with what he teaches our daughter at the table each day....Love it!! I can follow form a lot better than I used to.

To celebrate...I tuned in to the Carmen McRae station on Pandora and also got Billie, Sarah, Nancy and Ella. Sweet!!

Colcifier-enjoyed the blog and post about Levon. My father-in-law had him in class at Berklee one summer many many years ago...he and the guys stopped through for some ear training I guess. He really enjoyed having him in his class.
    Thanks for posting!

7. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks for reading! Helm's death is quite saddening; not only was he so great a musician but by all accounts, one helluva guy!

8. Decided to spend the rest of the afternoon with Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

Monk & Rahsaan are big influences on my playing along with Cannonball, maybe strange but there you are.

9. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    And what a thing to celebrate!

Might be a bit of a waste of time, given time zone differences, but here is a show I host with my brother and a mate where they bring in hip hop and I bring in jazz. The time it plays probably translates to some god-forsaken hour for you lot, but even if you just want to read the playlists, it gives you a good idea as to what jazz I like to listen to

Melting Butter | Facebook

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021