1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Today is the 25th Anniversary of Bernard Edwards’ Passing.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

He was one of the greatest ever. His music is as fresh now as when it was new.

btmpancake, MonetBass, JRA and 19 others like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    60403F39-DA41-41ED-9714-E7453BC5E5FB.jpeg 441AB48A-C6CA-4E5D-B167-9FE2536AF9E1.jpeg Pictures of the genius at work.

MonetBass, BBQisgood, JRA and 15 others like this.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...think I'll spin "Sao Paulo" now.

Still love these type of instrumental tunes by '70s R&B/Rock bands.

btmpancake, MonetBass, JRA and 6 others like this.
  4. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I noticed, during the TB blackout, that Bernard's isolated bass track for "Everybody Dance" showed up - I always get a huge kick out of playing along to that.

Along with "I Want Your Love", "Good Times", and "Dance, Dance, Dance" all of which are tattooed on my brain - a constant source of inspiration.

He truly was one of the all time greats.

5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Can't believe he's been gone that long!

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Bernard had a style that was classy and stood out among the rest. He is underrated and his influence was tremendous on so many genres.

johnnyplaysbass, rafunk, JRA and 4 others like this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Can’t believe he’s been gone so long

PsyDocHill likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bernard and Jaco were the ones who the fingers on my right going fast when everyone I knew was slap happy!:bassist:

lowdownthump and J R Knots like this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Perhaps ironically, the technique attributed to him as "chucking" is very similar mechanically to "double thumb" IMHO. Also, let's be honest, he did his fair share of actual popping.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, that is ironic. That said, once I learned he was chucking, I had already developed the speed to play his lines alternating my index and middle fingers, so I never bothered to try chucking.

kobass, lowdownthump and Wasnex like this.
  11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I guess I did pretty much the same thing as you, and never learned to chuck either. At that time I was purely single thumb whenever I played slap.

Years later I started learning double thumb when I started watching Victor Wooten and Bill Dickens videos. I think I could fake the chucking pretty well with my thumb now, but I would have to work up some of the material as it's still pretty challenging. Also I doubt I have the endurance for sustaining chucking with my thumb as it's not really something I do all the time.

Bernard was only 43 when we lost him in 1996. Way too soon and half a life-time ago.

12. bass12

bass12 A very hungry caterpillar Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    One of my favourite bassists. Discovering Chic’s C’est Chic and Risqué albums in my mid-to-late teens was one of those turning point moments in my musical life (like when I first really dug into James Brown). I clicked instantly with those records and have been smitten ever since. Nile, Bernard and Tony were the quintessential funk/r&b rhythm section. For me it just doesn’t get any better.

johnnyplaysbass, JRA, design and 4 others like this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don’t think it gets any better either.

bass12 and lowdownthump like this.
  14. I can never, ever get enough of Happy Man.

Todd Hamby and obimark like this.
  15. Listen to Bernard Edwards' work with Nile and the late Tony Thompson, THEN try and tell me 'disco sucks'. Meet you outside . . . . .

Just listen to how he OWNS the groove in the Diana Ross hit, 'I'm Coming Out', essentially Diana fronting Chic. There's GE locomotives that can't push like this. Do yourself a favor, learn his part note for note and play along. I did !

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    One more thing, Nile Rodgers speaking of finding Bernard Edwards’ body makes think of how Mike Clark recently eulogized Paul Jackson, or how Will Lee spoke of Hiram Bullock, or how Marcus Miller has spoken of Luther Vandross. Lee Sklar speaking of Mike Pocaro also comes to mind. Creating music is a powerful thing, and those who are really great at it share something special. I guess it might be similar to championship level athletes who are a great combination. The best combinations not only respect each other, they love each other. That is why the survivors keep their memories fresh of the partners that pass away early.

Prof.Dr.Metz, rafunk, design and 3 others like this.
  17. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    C’est Chic and Risqué are two of my all time favorite bass albums. No one will groove like Edwards did.

Dr. Cheese and lowdownthump like this.
  18. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    He was a smooth as butter with that Ray....

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    The problem with disco, as with any genre that takes over, isn't the innovators, it's the copycats. For every Chic album there were 50 albums sung in a falsetto voice with the bass doing octave jump 8th notes. EVERYONE was trying to cut the next great disco track - even KISS got into it!

A musical genre that reaches certain success levels gets copied until it is ruined. Only after the dust settles do we get back to the music that really made it great.

J Wilson, lowdownthump and JimK like this.
  20. rafunk

rafunk

Sep 18, 2005
    Valencia, Spain
    Absolute respect for this man, not just for how he played, but for the bass lines he created.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021