1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Today might be the day . . .

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by earlysecond, Feb 26, 2016.

1. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Since it is payday and since I've made a bit of money on my refinishing abilities, I may just have to buy some tools later today.

I have been threatening to scratch build a body. I have an inexpensive neck coming in the mail . . . I feel as if this weekend may be the day to clean myself a spot in my basement and to set up shop!!

Honestly, I am a bit scared but at the same time excited. In addition to some tools I already have I might be able to pick up:

• TONS of clamps
    • A table top drill press- with forstner bits
    • Router- with template guide and a couple of flush cut bits
    • Router Table
    • Spindle/belt sander combo
    • Back Saw
    • Hand and power rasp tools

That may just keep me busy for awhile. While I am out, maybe get some inexpensive board feet of wood locally, I'm thinking of starting with popular but can buy many other decent tone woods locally.

Wish me luck, realize that this is a big deal for me and it will have a hefty price tag, so I might chicken out by lunch time when I plan to shop! haha

Is there anything obvious that I have missed. I've done about as much research as I am going to do on what I might need. Can't do a bandsaw right now!

Today marks a month that I have been hanging out here. I want to thank everybody who has taught me what I need to know to take the next steps! Wish me luck more questions to come.
    Brent

GKon likes this.
  2. Well, good luck to you!

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars

• TONS of clamps - The blue, quick release, bar clamps they sell at Harbor Freight are great. They work well and are dirt cheap.
    • A table top drill press- with forstner bits - Get the biggest drill press you can possibly afford, used is preferable. Table top units are ok for small stuff, but you will want a deeper reach than most will give you
    • Router- with template guide and a couple of flush cut bits - Porter Cable is the gold standard when it comes to routers. I have some template guides, but I never use them, flush trim and pattern bits with bearings work much better.
    • Router Table
    • Spindle/belt sander combo - The Ridgid one that every one loves really is an excellent tool
    • Back Saw
    • Hand and power rasp tools - Make sure you get a Shinto saw rasp. They are IMHO the best tool for neck shaping and contouring.
    I would look into buying a band saw as well, while you can get buy with out one, I consider them to be completely necessary for a builder.

JIO and StreetScenes like this.
  4. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    As always Hopkins. . . thanks for your sage advice. Do you think I'm better with a quality plunge/fixed router kit and bearing bits? I cannot get it in my head how that all comes together until I play with it!! I have no real problem ponying up for the Porter Cable or Hatachi kit IF I need both plunge and fixed? I value your input! Let me know. I'm getting ready to go shopping. I WILL take your advice on the drill press. Let me see what I can afford.

Thanks,
    Brent

5. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    What Hopkins said.

The ROSS(Rigid spindle/belt) is simply excellent.

Save some cash and build a router table, if you want. Can use the money elsewhere.

Congrats!

6. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Oh, along with the Shinto, those StewMac dragon rasps are excellent, but pricey.

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx

I've been doing this for a long time, and I haven't had the need for a plunge router yet. I remove most of the material with a Forstner bit and my drill press before I start routing, this removes any need to plunge cut anything, and it keeps your router bits sharp longer because you are not removing much material.

8. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    I will check them out. I am more inclined to put rasp bits in my die grinder at 10K rpm, if it does not burn the chips will fly!! haha

9. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Hopkins, good, I will spend the extra money on the drill press! How about a 13" drill press with 16 speeds??

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    13" Should be plenty. Do you have a link to it?

11. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Regarding drill presses, I made that mistake initially and bought a 10" Skil. It functions fine, but is severely limited for certain operations, such as if you want to use a table vise. I had to twist the table to the side and stack boards, then the vise to barely be able to plunge holes in my tap handles for threaded inserts. It also requires wonky angles for cavity routing and safe-t-plane use. The same can be said of tiny bandsaws as well!

12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I don't know, I use my little 9" band saw a lot. More than my 14" really.

13. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I constantly fought with mine, so it maybe it is just a me thing. Of course, now I have to change blades and set it up when I am switching between rip/resaw/scrolling.

14. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    My drill press budget will be limited to 250-$300 range and I was looking at HF models when quoting price. I am going to look for a used ones tonight.
    Any suggestions from big box stores which fall in that price range.

SOO, I did not get to go shopping but have a friend who offered me use and potentially the purchase of the following:
    • DeWalt combo fixed plunge router kit and a bunch of moulding bits- NONE of it ever used
    • DeWalt Thickness planer thing is big and heavy but I think the table width is 12/maybe 14 inches
    • Delta joiner/planer

My friend bought most of this stuff new when he was remodeling a house. He seems to want to keep the tools but wants me to use them. I refused to use the router, which is brand new in the case but he insisted! I think he may want me to build him a guitar and is helping me by trying to supply me some tools that he does not use anymore.

Either way, that leaves me with some more of my own budget money for the necessary router bits, sander and other items. If I have fun and am successful building, I will eventually buy the necessary tools for my self. I just hope not to mess up the tools of somebody who trusted them to me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  15. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    That's why my little guy gets so much use. It way easier to just go to the little 9" than it is to switch out the 3/4" wide blade on my 14" to a 1/4" blade.

PDX Rich likes this.
  16. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    What is your location? I was going to search you local CL for you but you don't have your location in your profile

17. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    already did. I live around people who die with unused tools in their basements!! Haha Altoona, PA

18. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Go buy this if its still available
    Craftsman Drill Press

19. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    I appreciate you looking out for me but it's too far and more importantly, I have been there once for another reason and choose not to return! Your point though, that the quality of tools has drastically changed and that you can't buy the same quality for any money now is NOT lost on me. PLUS you are a master CL surfer who produces quick results. haha I hope you will not be offended by my desire not to risk my perceived sanity to go get that one. I am confident it is a better made tool than I will buy tomorrow.

20. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx

LOL, I can't speak for its quality, but for $40 its hard to beat