Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

today, my guitar tech told me....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Mar 17, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    "your bass is set up well(pats self on back) but your way of o the intonation..."

doh

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, i have read up on it. he gave it back to me and i noticed the way he did it. tuned the open string, and then used the harmonic at the 12th fret.

see, i was following the tune open, then fret the 12th fret. and i couldnt get it to stay in. now i know how, i wont be needing him.

though, i got the bass today, and he tweaked some of the saddle heights a bit(because when i got the bass, most of them were stripped, gotta love fender!!!) and now it plays amazing.

plus, it was 21 bucks, and took one day.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The 12th harmonic is always the octave of the open string... it doesn't mean anything about the intonation. The 12th fret harmonic compared to the 12th fret fretted is what you are looking to compare. Since they are the same note, not an octave apart as the 12th fretted and the open string are, you get rid of any errors that your tuner might have.

If the fretted note is sharp, the saddle goes back toward the bridge. If the fretted note is flat, it goes away from the bridge. You can avoid retuning byt just comparing the fretted and harmonic and make them come together until you get really close, then get them both to read "zero" and you are done.

Pete

5. +1 - the harmonic 12 is the same as the open string regardless of anything else, it always will be and is no indication of proper (or improper) intonation. The fretted 12 must be the same pitch as the open string.

tune, check 12th fretted, make slight adjustment, tune, check the 12th, make slight adjustments, etc.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1. I've been doing it this way for years and it hasn't failed once. It doesn't seem as "cool", because you don't get to whip out harmonics, but it works. I wonder if techs only use the harmonic method when someone is watching...... :ninja:

7. I check the harmonic against the fretted note at both the 12th and 19th fret. If I can't get them both perfect, I split the difference. This is the best method I have ever used. I found it in a Bass Player column written by Rick Turner years ago.