1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

today was a bad day to be driving in fayetteville!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JNowiski, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    ok, so i get off work today at around 1:50 and the first streetlight i come to isn't working...i see some people to the side doing what looks to me like some electrical work, i pull up to the next one it isn't working either, i get to a third one that isn't working either then i change the radio station and hear that almost all the streetlights in the mid and southern part of the city are down due to a bad wreck, and they supposedly had to shut the line off to get an air evac helicopter to land safely, but apparently it must have been some kind of master line or something, it was pretty bad, i almost witnessed a few wrecks and they said there were quite a bit of wrecks and the central part of town (by the mall area) was pretty much all closedoff cause traffic was so bad...

anyways, have any of you guys ever had real something like this in your city WITHOUT a natural disaster like a hurricane, tornado, flood, etc etc.

-Jon

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    In downtown Niagara Falls not long ago, a friend of mine woke up early saying he heard a huge bang, and the power went out.
    So he asked his dad and his dad said it was probably a transformer that blew.
    Well, he walked outside to go to school, and the road caved in.
    It wasn't a main road, so they closed it.

Also, in Toronto where I lived for school, HUGE ice chunks fell from the CN tower and onto the gardiner express way. They had to close it down.
    A friend of mine usually travels 20 minutes to get home, and it took her 2 and a half hours.

3. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC

Dang, thats really crazy about the road caving in! :D

And i'm glad i don't have worry about huge ice chunks down here either! :D

-Jon

4. nothing really major.

the occasional snowstorm shuts down the city for half a day, the 1998 ice storm was the worst.

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I was 11 when we got hit.
    SO much fun!
    We were tobogganing off of our roofs!

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    We had a pretty bad windstorm mid December last year. I know you said no natural things, but we don't usually get storms at all, so it's weird.

The entire mall area of my city was without power. Chaos everywhere because of traffic lights being down on the main roads. Business not open and the windows were dark. It was like a zombie movie during rush hour.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021