Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Today we picked up a Fender Hoppus Signature Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Debbie wanted something a bit easier to play, but still with a Precision tone. Since this bass is a P pickup with a Jazz neck and body, we tried it out and she liked it.

Its a pretty cool bass. They pulled it out of the back. It was brand new with a good setup and very punchy strings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound samples tomorrow! :D

2. Scamp

Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    safe to assume the one knob is volume?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That would indeed be a safe assumption.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I love that bass. It's the only P-bass I will ever buy (I'm partial to jazz style bodies). Who cares if the guy it's named for isn't that great, thats one heck of a bass! I've been saying it for a long time, but it seems no one wants to admit it.

No need for a tone pot. Tone is in the hands :p

I want the seafoam green one as well. I'd get pink, but I'm not hardcore enough to get pink ;)

5. :p :p :p

anyways, i tried one at my local music store the other day and i agree, it is a great little bass. perfect starter instrument. how much do they run?

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Never played one, but I dunno if I could live without a tone control. It's true that the tone is in the hands, but not ALL of the tone is. :p Mine gets a lot of excercise...sometimes I have it full on, sometimes full off, sometimes everyehere in between.

I'd buy one if it was black, with a black pickguard...and uh....a MM pickup and a J-retro...for the functionality AND the irony of such a versatile Hoppus bass, which is completely the opposite of its intended use, so there.

7. I've played a few of them and found them to be solid, great sounding basses. I wish they came in standard colors.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a pretty good instrument.
    I can't stand Jazz Basses, so it's not for me.

9. I'd rather get the Steve Harris P-bass...but congrats on the purchase.

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    they run about the same as my deluxe p, about $500, althought i'd much rather have the deluxe p

11. I like the color of that bass alot. I also like the bass itself. It's really good for playing punk,and has a comfortable neck.

Good times my friend:)

12. Hbm292

Hbm292

Jan 28, 2002
    A good friend of mine has this bass (In pink!!) I like it and I think it is quite a fun bass to play. Very punchy, a great first bass and then some! Hot style,........hotstyle.

13. ouch, i was thinkin they would be a lot cheaper seeing as how basic they are. oh well, its still a good begginers instrument (that is, if the begginer has rich parents) :p

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I love that bass! It is punchy as HELL. I love just as much finger style as I do pick... it is an awsome bass.

:cool:

15. I like the whole concept of how it's made (Jazz Neck + Body and P Pickup) but I dislike the color and the fact that it's Mark Hoppus's Signature Bass and it doesn't have a tone control :) But overall, great design idea for it! I know if I bought a PBass (probably never will cuz they aren't for me) I'd get one like that.

16. those are pretty nice playing basses. my friend has one and really likes it. I just got done helping him mod it out a bit too and now it is really killer. I did some drilling on it and put in a p retro. it really opened up the sound on it. and makes the basslines sound a lot better. I also put in a different volume pot. and I didn't mess up how it looked eather :D

17. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Dude they come in black and white now, so quit complaining about the color.

18. That I did not know because I don't care about that bass really, but thanks for enlightening me :)

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Any more namecalling, and I'm gonna have to open a can of WhoopAss... play nice, dammit.

20. lol Ty, just flat out say you don't want one like me, lol!!

if the bass suits her, then it's awesome for you guys, you know? not my personal favorite, but congrats(again)