1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Today will be "Accessory Fun Day"

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by JimmyM, Nov 29, 2018.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Didn't intend it to be so, but I came home from my gig tonight wondering how light I could make my Hammersmith PJ, which is already pretty darn light at 7 3/4 lbs. The only heavy hardware on it is the bridge, which is Marko's take on the Badass called the Smartass. It's basically a Badass with quick release string loading, and it's a very fine bridge. But it's high mass, of course, made of brass, so on an impulse, I bought a Fender vintage style bent plate bridge off Amazon.

So it was $28.35, and I saw that if I had an order of all free one day shipping items totaling at least $35, and the bridge was, I could have it by this evening. I've been wanting to try those Dunlop Primetone 5 mm picks because Django Reinhardt used picks that thick, and a pack of 3 costs $6.62. With tax that took me over $35. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't count tax, and I ended up 3 cents short. You'd think they would let it slide since I was well over $35 with tax, but they didn't. Bastards.

It took me a half hour to find another qualifying item but I finally found a cheap item that I needed for the house, so I'll get everything sometime today before 8 pm. I got to satisfy my impatience, but Amazon are still bastards :D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Hopefully there are no weather delays. We’re having a bit of a cold snap. :)

JimmyM likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

i look to amazon as the source for a bunch of stuff, these days. too easy.

JimmyM likes this.
  4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Very nice jimmy! You can keep all your accessories in your new purse (sorry accessory bag)
    ;)

sissy kathy and JimmyM like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ha ha! Yeah, I can slap that bridge on half an hour before the gig, then take it off and put it in my bag :D

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Well maybe ashtrays....

I was thinking just walk around and show them to random people. You walk up in the mall and pull out a handful of picks and a bass bridge. “What a loonie”

JimmyM likes this.
  7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    The $3.00 battery tester has gotten me over the free SH threshold in the past.

It's European!:laugh:

I love "fun accessory days":thumbsup:

JimmyM likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL! I don't think I need 10 battery testers :D

9. You tricked me.
    Sorry, but a Bridge is Hardware not an Accessory. :(
    Heck the top three threads in Hardware currently are about Bridges.

Ya them are I guess. :bored:

What is this? :wideyed:

JimmyM likes this.
  10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Unfortunately, they’re convenient bastards. :D

JimmyM likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A 3-way AC adapter.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Accessory fun day got shot to hell. 11:45 and my package still isn't here. On the bright side, I complained about it to Amazon and got a $10 credit on my next order. But this is the 3rd or 4th time they've dropped the ball, and it's making me wonder why I bother doing a Prime membership. But whatever...I'll use that $10 credit soon enough.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Package finally arrived. Only got to try out the Primetone 5 mm picks. Wish I'd have known they'd be smaller than usual picks, but other than that, I love them! Who knew I would dig them so much? But they're fantastic.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Welp, I'm returning the bent plate bridge. The string spacing won't work out with it. Shame, because it felt like it shaved a half pound off the weight of my bass. But I just couldn't get the strings to line up properly. Not a biggie...with the bass weighing in at 7 3/4 lbs, not like it's killing me to use it. Besides, Marko's really proud of that bridge so now I don't have to bum him out :D

But dang, those picks make playing with a pick pretty much effortless, and I can fly with them using half the effort. I just have to figure out the right size for me, and I think I'm going to switch over to them. So the day wasn't a total loss.

S-Bigbottom and lowplaces like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well one nice thing about Amazon...they may be late with your package sometimes, but they give you a $10 credit if you complain, and as soon as you take your return to the UPS Store and a driver scans it into the system, they issue you a refund. I guess that's two nice things.

Anyway, I figured out the right size Primetone picks this time and ordered 6 of them, but now I'm starting to get used to these dinky little picks. I guess it'll be nice to have a choice.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    New picks came last night, and they win!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    threaded rod saddles? that's surprising.

if you're super-finicky about spacing to where even the grooves on a vintage saddle are too coarse an adjustment, you can sometimes find that "in-between" spacing by flipping the saddle over and using the other side, or even swapping them around.

JimmyM likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I wish the string spacing was the issue. The bridge fell into the pre-drilled holes just fine, but on a couple of the strings, I had to move the strings over so far that they crossed the intonation screw just to get them to sit normally. So I returned it and stayed with the bridge it came with. It's a fine bridge and the slots are aligned perfectly for that bass, and the bass wasn't heavy to begin with (7 3/4 lbs), so it's all good.

19. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Even before the shopping rush we would have pacakges that were claimed to arrive in a day or two show up a week later.
    Were you able to get someone on the phone for a credit or purely through email?
    Curious as to how you make this work.
    Congrats on getting any kind of contact with Amazon as well as some $$.

JimmyM likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I somehow got a chat window pulled up. Pretty sure I had to do a search for it, because Amazon's very stingy about putting contact info on their pages.

S-Bigbottom and Jim C like this.