Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Today's GAS episode

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Well, I decided to go component, should have everything in next week. I sold my SWR **-****(name edited to prevent flame war:D) since spending $300 dollars on its floor pedal was more expensive than just selling it on ebay and buying all of this stuff(cost me around $1100ish, where as the **-**** and pedal would together be worth about 12-1300ish(ebay price of head, plus new price of pedal). I probably would have kept it seeing that I still have a warm spot in my heart for the "cursed" thing, but I need to be able to switch my effects, and don't have much money right at the moment. Here's what I got-

QSC PLX1602(w/input sensitivity mod)
    Sansamp RBI
    Boss TU-2 tuner
    Boss CEB-3 chorus(pretty much the only effect that I found I use, and not very much at that; I'll probably try some fancier chorus pedals later)

I bought the QSC from lord valve, for those who don't already know, he is very cool and arguably has the best prices on QSC stuff. He says that with the input mod, the RBI should be able to drive the amp to full power.

The QSC will be running bridged(1600w) at 4 ohms in to my Mesa powerhouse 1000, so this thing should kick butt. I was prompted in to this last week when I di'd my bass in to our mixer board and ran through that in to my DJ's old crest monitor amp and in to my regular cab. I sadly must say that it spanked my former amplifier(yeah, go ahead guys- told you so, neener, neener, whatever...). I guess the true test of all this will be when I plug it in. I think I should be happy having seen the comments from people with similar setups on this board. I'll update this post next week when I get everything.

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    I'm really interested to know what you think of the Sansamp RBI.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Josh walsh
    Your profile says "buncha Bag end cabs". Just curious as to what cabs and how you are running them with that power amp. Just looking for new ideas. are you using more than 2 bag end cabs at a time? I've had this fantasy, hee hee, of using my 2 Bag End S15D's with 2 S15D-B's. My amp can push two 350 loads at 4ohms. Of course a 210 in there would sound great with the 15's also. :D

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Headroom is a beautiful thing!!!! Sounds like a real nice rig..........I agree about Lord Valve....great prices and service......even if I don't agree with some of his politics:D

5. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I got everything in yesterday and hooked it all up. The best statement to be made about this compared to my old rig is that my guitarist has now decided to save up for a second 4x12 Mesa rec cab.

The RBI has more than enough signal to power the QSC with the input mod, as I was hoping. I have the gain on the sansamp and on the amplifier both at a little over 1/3rd. It sounds great. Build quality is no issue with either the preamp or amplifier, they both feel very solid.

The RBI is a must buy for the money. It may not be the best, and definitely is not the most expensive, but is one of the most flexible,IMO. I played with it for about a half hour to get my tone, and it is the only tone setting I like, but it is excellent for my bass. Brings everthing out perfectly with fingerstyle, sounds equally good while slapping. I notice if any of the knobs have been moved from their set postion even a fraction. I personally like the growly, somewhat transparent sound from the EMG's on my bass, and how they sound in the alternative band I play in. The RBI does a better job enhancing this tone than any combo I've ever played through. I must point out, however, that this preamp would be great for nearly any kind of music; there are so many great tones that you can get out of it. I am extremely happy with it.

The QSC is simple, solid, gutsy, and light. All that I can ask for in an amplifier.

I give the both the RBI and PLX1602 an A+, especially for the cost of the two(~$900). I prefer the sound and flexibility to any $900 dollar range head that I've tried. As soon as I record with it I'll post an example. I'm going to try and put up a picture soon, also.