Today's gig with a rental rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I dig a gig this afternoon with a new Neo-Soul group I'm working with. It was outside, in front of the Smithsonian. I brought my rig (H&K BassBase 600, 2 EA VL110 cabs) but because of time constraints used the backline supplied by the main sponsor, BET. Alembic F-1X preamp, big Crest Audio amp, SWR 8x8 cab. As the saying goes, it looked good on paper;). I used my Brubaker NBS-Custom 5.

Didn't have much time to tweak it, the rig was loud but the overall tone didn't do a thing for me. The lows weren't as tight as my rig and even broke up with just a touch to much lows from the F-1X. Mids were MIA and the highs sounded brittle. Given time I'm sure I could tweak a sound that was more pleasing but right out of the blocks the sound was pretty uninspiring.

The group I worked with found out about the gig last week, had one brief rehearsal and this was the first time we'd played live. It was fun and could've been better.

Otherwise pretty cool setup. Nice covered stage (it was ~95 degrees today at 3:00pm) and sound system and monitors, nice food services layout, several air-conditioned RVs for the artists' use, all in all a pro setup. I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon;)
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Given the Alembic's tone circuitry I'm not surprised the mids were lacking. The flattest you can get those things is with the mid knob cranked, and even then it's still iffy. I really like the fatness of the Alembic preamp though. Whatever floats your boat....
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Dude, you should have let me know sooner. I work right there on the mall. Would have loved to come see you guys. Too bad about the tone but I'm glad you had some fun.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ahhh the joys of backline gigs.....:p

I've had every possible experience, from full-on killer (Eden WT-800, two D-410XLT's) to full-on "what the hell is that?" (broke down GK 400 RB [complete with intermittent shorting input jack], unknown 15" cab, Fender [I think??] 410). Luckily, my experiences have been mostly good, but when it's bad it SUCKS.

Oh, I otta mention, the "what the hell is that?" gig was my very first one playing EUB (I'd had it 5 days), and I was plugged it to a D/I before the amp. So, when the head would cut out, I couldn't hear myself, but EVERYONE else could. :eek: That was an eeen-tuh-res-teeeng gig. :D
  5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sorry about that, Swingbass. Forgot to mention it here.
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I remembered the quirks of the F-1X... I think I had more of a problem with the 8x8 than the preamp.
  7. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Talkin about using backline gear, I played a festival gig and had to use the amp provided by the sound company. Get this: it was a very cool old SVT---- sitting on top of an ancient Peavey 2x15 Cab!!! Sacrilege!! It did not sound good either! I almost died when I saw it.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's always hit & miss with backline....mostly miss:(
    Last month I did a gig where the "bass rig" was a Mackie board, poweramp & Hartke 4/10 cab with only one ten working........I was assured that they would crank me through the mains, and they did... only problem is by the time you hear the mains it's just mudd.........oh well.....I call them character building gigs:D
  9. One advantage to having a sweet rig: never having to play through the other band's 20-year-old, 60-watt, 120-pound Peavey 1x15 combo.

Brad, I bet that Kevin Brubaker is gonna be stoked that one of his basses was on TV!

BTW, where in Gaithersburg do you live? My aunt and uncle live in a townhouse backing up to the Montgomery County Playhouse, right off Quince Orchard.
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I could've avoided this... my H&K/EA rig was in my car. The rental looked decent but with a minimal soundcheck it was too late. It wasn't horrible but it sounded nothing like I wanted it to.

I live maybe 1.5 miles off Quince Orchard, near Rt. 355. We built a house in a small development in the Old Town part of Gaithersburg. I'm within easy walking distance of the pavillion, microbrewery and train station. I love the location.

Kevin's getting bigger exposure than me... last I heard the guitarist and bassist for Britney Spears both have Brubakers. Both very good players.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice Brad!

what was the name of the performer? cool that BET was supporting it. what was the event?

funny how they gave you an 8x8, when all you needed was your pair of 1x10's. :rolleyes:

btw, thanks again for the dual 1x10 suggestion. i'm giving the Epi shop a visit tomorrow, so i can blast thru a pair of nick's little wonders. i'll post up a report.

should be "eeen-tuh-res-teeeng". :D
  12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's a new Neo-Soul group, something along the lines of Jill Scott or Erykah Badu, called Devine Nature. There were some rough spots in the performance so I don't know where it might end up;)

I should've just taken my stuff up when I got there but the rental rig looked so big and manly...:D
  13. Brad,
    I recently played an outdoor gig on Portland's waterfront. I wasn't running behind but was just plain lazy, and decided to run my bass into my Sansamp Tech 21 DI WITHOUT any stage rig. I only heard myself through the 12" wedge monitors and hated what I heard.

Lesson...use your gear every time you can.
  14. I'll check the next time I'm bored as hell and watching MTV. Which will be a while, since I don't have a TV right now :D