Todays MIJ garage sale find

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oildrops, Mar 20, 2016.

1. oildrops

oildrops

Sep 27, 2012
    So I just picked this bass up at a garage sale. The body is one piece solid wood. The neck is 3 piece, with a 5 piece headstock. The only markings on it are the MIJ plate and the stamp on the neck heal and in the pickup route. I was half expecting to take the neck off and find a fender body, due to it being solid wood.

The frets are super low. Anyway, it's a cool project bass for $15!

dWuHXnc.jpg
    hbpBsRy.jpg
    nECM60F.jpg
    htym0iq.jpg
    bbNyUBA.jpg
    Cwu15Pm.jpg
    UHnRbTX.jpg
    hOUc5ka.jpg

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Nice! Much fun to be had.

AndrewTaran and dragon2knight like this.
  3. jsp5107

jsp5107

Mar 20, 2004
    I love the EADG on the tuners. In case you forget which string is which.

4. oildrops

oildrops

Sep 27, 2012
    Haha I know.

I think its actually an early 70's Ibanez... I'm looking through the catalogs and I see them with no headstock logo, and a white truss rod cover on a 3 piece neck. I didn't include the truss rod cover in the photo, but it looks exactly like the ones Ibanez used. It also came with what would have been a pretty high quality case, but it's falling apart now.

spvmhc likes this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Nothin' but cool! :cool:

6. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Looks very nice!
    Could easily be Ibanez or any number of other P-bass copies. Looks like the body is made of some sort of mahogany-ish wood which is common on old MIJ instruments. From the neck pocket it looks like it might also have a veneer top. Not a bad thing, but also a fairly common thing on instruments like this.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Yeah, the price was right... But an Anarchy sign? Clearly, this was owned by one of those drug dealing goat worshipers.

8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Fifteen bucks... yeah, all day!

It's worth that in PARTS!

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I'll give you $30 for it. Double your investment!

10. Orange Caesar

Orange Caesar

Nov 27, 2014
    NorCal
    why didn't i think of that!! all this time i'm tuning the wrong strings half the time... genius solution!!

Winoman likes this.
  11. oildrops

oildrops

Sep 27, 2012
    Oh yeah, definitely veneer. Good eye!

Alright, so if this was your bass what would you do with it to turn it into a budget player ? I figure it needs a pickguard/ control plate, knobs, some nail polish remover, and a string tree at the minimum, but can these MIJ fender copies take a standard fender neck? I'm mainly a guitar player, and use a bass for recording occasionally, and I'm not sure I can live with the tiny frets.

12. oildrops

oildrops

Sep 27, 2012
    The more you know!

13. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks!
    Be glad for the veneer. Otherwise you'd probably see some oddly mismatched wood. Your list of parts sounds like what would be needed to get it running, but I'd first put the neck back on, string it up and see if the parts you do have are functional. While it's together, measure from nut to bridge to see if it's standard 34" scale.

As for Fender neck compatibility (assuming it's standard 34" scale) you'll want to measure the neck pocket on the body at it's widest point and compare to standard neck specs (you can find them on Warmoth and other places.

A few more thoughts about the bass. It's a nice find. It's not as nice as some of the "best" MIJ fender copies that have features like alder or ash bodies, one piece necks, etc. However, it's got the Fender style tuners, 4 saddle bridges, actual wood bodies, Pickup shielding plate, holes indicating it originally had a bridge cover, and a P pickup so it's definitely not one of the mediocre uber-cheap early MIJ basses that had plywood bodies, cheapo tuners, guitar style pickups. If the neck is good, it could really turn out to be a nice player. Good luck with it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh -- to have perfect quarter-sawn no-runout grain in the center neck lamination -- SWEET!

Squinty Jones and shawshank72 like this.
  15. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    anarchy=R&R

Bodeanly likes this.
  16. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    Whoops... I thought this was going to be a thread about a MIJ garage.

Shoot. I'd been looking for a two-car in oly white with a tort automatic door.

Mktrat likes this.
  17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Looking at the artwork, did you buy it from a 5 year old?

18. Thats pretty cool

19. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Those are Gotoh tuners, easily worth more than $15 all on their own. The cheapo copies wouldn't have used them, but better ones like Ibanez, Tokai, Greco and Yamaha sure did, so that's one clue right there.

Squinty Jones and JIO like this.
  20. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Oh don't be a grumpy old man.

Gluvhand likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021