Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Today's music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 20, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My buddy and I were sitting up late one night on the porch talking about music. What a shocker there!
    Anyway, he brough up some valid points about music today. We all know that today's music is seriously lacking substance and quality, but something else is missing too. Characters. Where are all the outrageous characters these days??
    I mean back in the day you had guys like Ozzy. This guy was biting heads off of doves, snorting ants, biting bat heads, pissing on the Alamo, etc. And just listen to the guy talk. It is totally hilarious to sit there and attempt to decipher what the hell he's saying and furthermore, what it is he is talking about in the first place.
    You had guys like Keith Richards. This guy should've been dead years ago, and as far as characters go, listen to this guy talk. Ever heard his little monologue about learning new things on the guitar everyday. It is a riot.
    Speaking of riots. Where are your Axl Roses? This guy was the last real character. Inciting riots, attacking fans, getting busted at airports. That was the name of his game.
    And what about Jim Morrison. My gosh. Pissing on bars, whipping out his johnson, landing in jail every performance. That was Jim's game.

Today's musicians are all so self absorbed and serious, they are about as fun to watch and listen to as watching paint dry.
    Fred Durst. Uh, he wears a red cap... backwards....all the time.
    The guy from Creed. Uh, he likes to let his hair blow in the wind standing on cliffs and stuff.

Come on, we need more riots, public urination, drug ODs, etc.

Thanks alot Nirvana. You blew it all for us!!

2. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    How about Marilyn Manson as a "character"? Or how about Zack and the rest of Rage? Everywhere they go riots follow. Don't get me wrong, I agree that music these days has all but gone to sh!t. But there are still "characters" like Les Claypool and bands like Pennywise running around. Please don't take offense at anything I just said!!!:)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't know about all that? I think there is still substance and quality in a good portion of today's music! John Patitucci and Christian McBride are just two examples of people who put substance and quality into music. Prince, Diana Krall, Marcus Miller, Rick Braun, Keb Mo, John Lee Hooker, Tori Amos, Paul Simon, Harry Connick, Jr., Dr. John, Danny Elfman. Geez, that's just off the top of my head.

Oh!...I just re-read your post. Maybe we should retitle this, as Today's Hard Rock. Not all "music" is guitar-driven rock bands.

4. what about gwar?

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Hanson, anyone?

If you're totally frustrated with "today's" music, then hit on some of the "old" guys(who, IMO, still sound FRESH "today"...Why? Because musicians like Coltrane, Cecil Taylor, Miles, Ornette Coleman, etc were pushing the envelope when they recorded. One can still hear that fire whenever one spins one of their discs).

If ya gotta have guitar-driven stuff...
    Both The Headless Torsos & Tribal Tech have a new cd coming out later this month(& no, they won't be on eMpTyV).

6. old-timer1

old-timer1

Jan 31, 2000
    I agree with you guy's on most thought's...No good music ,no more video's on MTV even , they are too busy trying to find the 'next cool thing' so all these phony wannabe's can jump on the bandwagon . What I'm about to say is not to be taken as being prejudice or racist...I say again NOT TO BE TAKEN out of context , but , is it me or does it seem all the white kid's want to be black and vice-versa . If these kid's could be happy with their own place in life maybe they would enjoy their existance and music would once again be filled with 'characters'...JMHO.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Legitimate claims to being "characters" can come from Prodigy, Gwar, Marliyn Manson, Insane Clown Posse, the frontman of The Misfits, SlipKnot, Les Claypool, Flea, Anthony Keidis and John Frusciante, Lars Ulrich (who has shown a fearless attack on Napster risking many of Metallica's fans' rath), Rob Halford...dang! I know there are many more. I just can't think of them right now.

I don't think the music business has fewer characters, but maybe as one moves on in life, listens to different music, one is less exposed to the styles of music that tend to be inhabited by characters.

Jason Oldsted

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Your title should be today's popular music... you're right it sucks. But there is great music being made today you just have to go looking for it.

9. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    All those great characters mentioned in the first post where products of the wonder drug. Yes kids thats right, MARIJUANA!! (at least its not crack) Dope builds character and makes the world a funnier place. I probably would have commited suicide years ago without good old dope. So pass that fatty around kids. You'll thank yourselves later.

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like weed smokers (well...their music, i don´t know about anyone here who smokes weed..). Bands like Cypress Hill and 311 are really cool, and I don´t know why but I think their coolest lyrics are about weed..

11. speaking of them... do you know of a webpage about the torsos? I heard something some years ago on a old cassette and wanna hear their new stuff... :)

and I agree with phreaky on weed smokers.. :D

12. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
  13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I still miss the ultimate "character".....Keith Moon...:)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  15. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    Most of the more mainstream rock stars today aren't much for charecters (as far as substance, that is your opinion and i hope you weren't a hair band fan) because most of them have made a conscious decision to stay away from drugs because they have seen the effects.
    But if you want charecter then look no further than slipknot. Those are 9 highly animated charecters. More wild on stage then any other performer in a long time.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    yeah, slipknot are really cool!

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If that's what you really think, then I feel truly sorry for you! :(

You don't need drugs in order to have a good time. In fact, the mere fact that you can only have a good time while on drugs means that you need the crutch of a foreign substance to hide your real personality behind! That's truly a shame.

Please don't pass your less than stellar values on to others who rely on the trueness of their character to get through life!

Drugs are not the way to be...they are the way to NOT be!

18. smoke two joints man......sublime

19. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    I beleive the problem with today's music is two fold: A lack of genre expansion, and a trend towards a Mass Market "Oh, I saw that this morning, and I want something even fresher" inability to enjoy the past.

Genre's of music, often coming out of an urge to express a particular set of emotions, are being used up at a faster pace than ever seen before. Punk came, was beaten like a red-headed step child, and died in under 20 years. In less than a decade, hardcore and rapcore has become a mass market joke. The same fate can even argueably be prescribed to rap, hip-hop, and possibly even techno. I'm not saying that good music isn't being created in these and other categories, but the bulk of it is MTV-ready, formula crap.

As for charecters, ehe prevasive feeling seems to be "That's been done before" leaving the only options left to be so overly animated (Thank you backtoschool, that was an apt description) that it is obnoxious and you are unable to produce sound music(Slipknot), or so overly concerned with being controversal that you can no longer produce sound music(Marilyn Manson, Kid Rock). Anything else, even the traditional booze-hound, hotel-room-trashing, groupie-abusing "Rock Rebel" is regarded as Ho-Hum.

Please, remember that these are only my opinions, and if you beleive something diffrent, than all the more power to you.

20. I find this post offensive. No, NOT ALL OF US "know" that music lacks quality and substence. That's a stereotype. Alot of music today is shxtty in my opinion (expecially boy/girl groups), but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, aren't they? I happen to favor punk music. You dont have to like it, but you can at least respect my opinion.