1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

todays popular music

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by LL bassist, Apr 18, 2006.

1. I am doing a persuasive essay for my english class, and for my topic i want to do the reasons why most of todays popular music (pop, rap, emo, hardcore, punk....etc.) is pretty much garbage as far as musicality goes. I have my own opinions on this, but i need to have a good source for my essay. This is why i want to get either Mr. Manring or Mr. Lawson's opinion on this. It would be great if you could tell me your views on popular music and ways to back them up. I really appreciate it if you get around to doing this. Thanks!

-Erik Muench

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Erik,

I’m sorry to say I may not be able to be of much help on this as I’m not sure I’d agree that today’s pop music is all that much worse (or better, for that matter) than that of any other period. Maybe if your argument was a little more specific -- say, that current pop music is more based on rhythm and less on harmony than pop music from the 40’s, for instance, I might have more to say. Sorry about that! Good luck…

3. If so many people like the pop music of today, there must be some kind of quality that you maybe not hear. Try to find out how other people can like it and find that quality, you maybe will like it too. (I am actually speaking to the thread starter).

I think i remember Victor Wooten said something similar.
    Music that is more based on rhythm than harmony will not result in not as good music.
    Either will music based on both less rhythm and harmony result in not as good music.

Though, modern pop music is very based on the singing and there isn't many musical things going on. That is why I don't find popular music of today very interesting to listen to.

I think as musicians we except music with alot going on since we think alot more when listening than non-musicians. This is actually something I think we musicians needs to practice - Don't think, just enjoy your listening.

I hope this can be some help for your essay!

/Mathias

BTW, Michael Manring you have the coolest names on your songs ever on this planet :)

4. Also popular music of today lacks the magic behind music which comes from true music which is created from the heart, not from the mind.

Do I talk to much?