Today's Project PICS Included

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joeeg33, May 15, 2005.

1. Hey All,
    Well, we have all seen the threads, defretting my bass. So, here is the opposite, fretting a lined fretless.
    I didn't have much to do today so, I thought let me fret my fretless. The bass is a Carvin LB70 from around '90. I didn't dig it as a fretless, not much mwah going on. I had another fretless Carvin and it was great but, this one never quite cut it. So, I went to work on it. Now, I will preface this with the fact that I have been in the repair business for 10 years. So, if you don't have much experience, you should probably not try this on your own.
    OK, let's start. First step, got to get ride of those lines. I have done this on a few others so I knew what worked best for me. On the edge of the board I take an xacto knife, blade facing up. Put the point of the blade at the bottom of the line, and tap. It is amazing how easy they lift out, see PIC. They come out in small sections, as they keep breaking.
    Second, after removing all of the lines it is time to clean up the board and get it ready to fret. I use a radius block to clean up the board, using 220 grit paper. After I got it smoothed out, and trued up I use 00 steel wool to buff up the ebony board.
    Next steps to follow.....
  2. So, with the board cleaned up, time to fret it. Usually I use an arbor press but, that's not at my house and I was on a roll. So, I did it the old fashion way, bang them in, in a caring way. I used my hard plastic end fretting hammer. I start out by putting some yellow glue in the fret slot, then seat the fret, clean up the glue with a damp, and dry paper towel, and move to the next slot.
  3. Here is a PIC after all of the frets have been installed. I will have more progress PICS in a little while.
  4. The glue I used was Elmer's yellow wood glue. Works great for holding the frets for years to come but, I will still be able to get them out if need be.

I am getting ready to trim the frets, level, and dress them right now. I will post PICS later.
  5. OK, it was a long day but it's done. Here is a PIC after triming, leveling, dressing, and polishing the frets. Now I have to make a new string nut, set it up, and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You, sir, are the freaking man.
  7. Thanks for the kind words guy's. I strung it up, and it plays real nice. It's a good feeling when stuff works out.
  8. Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    i just love how clean and lovely the fretboard looks without the fret markers

*appause* nice work :)