Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Today's Rig of choice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'll post some pic's soon but for now just wanted to post a few opinions of my newest additions to my setup.
    I had previously been running my basses (passive and active) into a SansAmp BDDI and then straight into a Bass POD PRO. That signal then fed into a Hartke 7000. From there I ran stereo into an SWR Goliath III (4x10) and Big Bertha (2x15)respectively. Way too hi-fi sounding and a lot of hiss/noise. I was able to get a workable sound but still not exactly what I wanted.
    Over the last few months I did a lot of reading and talking to fellow TB'ers. I also demo'd lots of different units at local stores. I really wanted the simplicity of just an SVT classic and fridge (8x10) but try as I might I could not get used to that Ampeg sound. I am totally not knocking Ampeg but the sound just wasn't there for me.
    After speaking with Nino (thanks man this amp is unbelieveable) I figured that I would stay with a rack setup and I found an awesome deal on an SVP-1500 power amp. I also got a great deal on a used SWR Goliath Senior (6x10). I used this with the Bass POD PRO for a few weeks and I was much happier. I then stumbled onto an excellent deal on an SVP-Pro which I got solely for the tubes included inside this unit. I figured I could dial in a sound that would give me a warmer sound via the tube compliment.
    After hooking it all up, I can honestly say my setup is totally out of control...but I do have a great sound and impressive/ominous looking rig. I added a Morley Power Wah to my pedalboard and spent quite a bit of money facilitating George L's cables on everything. The pedalboard signal goes straight into the Alesis compressor/noise gate and then into the SVP-Pro. The Bass POD PRO is used in the effects loop of the SVP-Pro and I have the 4 button footswitch on the board for changing the POD tones. The output of the SVP-Pro then goes into the SVP-1500 which runs a stereo 4 Ohm load to each cabinet (Big Bertha and Goliath Senior). I left the Hartke in one of the racks as a backup and on a large outdoor gig a week or so ago I actually split the signal from the SVP-Pro a third time and ran that line into the Hartke which powered the Goliath III (4x10) and I used it as a monitor on an amp stand next to me and put the other cabs on either side of th drum riser.
    Having said all that...I am of a few conclusions;
    1. Having two 6 space racks to house all of this stuff solicits strange looks from folks who generally lighten up once they hear the tone/power this rig provides.
    2. I feel like Les Claypool dancing around all these buttons and controls. (wish I had his chops though:bassist: )
    3. I'm glad I still have the ability in my fairly young age to lug each piece on my own.
    4. Many months and countless dollars/hours upon hours of research have made me a happy camper with my selections.
    FWIW I know that I will probably get bombarded by everyone feeling that this is total overkill...to an extent I agree but I play lots of different types of music and mostly I compete with a very loud/powerful trio of musicians. Most places don't afford the luxury of having a nice and powerful FOH so I really needed a good sounding rig that has the ability to be used as a stand alone when theres no PA support...this rig does all of that for me. It takes me a little longer to haul and setup but in the end when I achieve the tone/volume I put out there it makes all of the work pay off.
    I'll quit mumbling here but I just wanted to share my results and say a big "Thanks" to everyone who has given me advice/opinions here at TB.
    Best Wishes
    Alan:D