Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Today's trip to Bass Palace

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 22, 2003.

1. Well, the Swami's assistant Bernardo was out for the day and most of BP's good basses were loaded into the Swami's truck in anticipation of the Saratoga guitar show this weekend, but I got to play a couple of very nice basses. Unfortunately, the Ken Smiths I wanted to try out (I'm thinking about a used BSR J or Burner once I get the cash) were loaded in the van, as was the G&L L5500 I wanted to try, but I managed to get some good time in on some other interesting axes.

Highlights:
    -Mike Lull Vintage 5 (35" scale, 21 frets): not terribly interesting J-style fiver. Decent low B, fairly wide tonal range, but nothing special.

-M Basses 5: beautifully built, but felt like a toy. My hands are too big for it and I couldn't pull a pleasing tone out of it. Granted, I was playing through a very honky-sounding Carvin 1x15 combo, but I just couldn't get anything I liked out of it.

-Warwick Fortress R&B: not my style. I don't really like Warwick 4-string necks, either--they're like broom handles. The 5-string ones are great, though.

-Ibanez Musician (single-coil pickups): magnificent. Tons of tonal variety, all of them useful. A manly neck as well.

-Spector NS5CRFM: magnificently built, but hadn't been set up so I couldn't make any judgements. Pretty nice tone; I'm not sure about the neck. I've heard people say these things have huge necks, which means y'all are getting really pansy these days.

-And THE SLEEPER: Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 (MIM), candy apple red with rosewood board. Even with dead-ass strings, this was my favorite bass there. Glorious thump and grind, and a bootylicious B. I may just grab one of these, although the American Deluxe ones with a maple board are pretty tempting. The neck is just a thing of beauty--fat, wide, and hand-filling.

-Special mention goes to the horribly refinished Kay 5-string DB. It's gotten the DB jones going for me again.

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I didn't care for the neck on the NS5 I had either.....didn't balance that well, and the tone was good, just not what I was looking for.

I thought you had just said in another thread you liked a honky tone?

I already sound too much like a honky funk player, I don't need any help from my amp! :eek: :D

3. I add a bit of honk, but not a ton.

4. i went to a shop the other day were i had a very similar experience with a MIM jazz V. the fit and finish was nothing short of custom shop quality and THE TONE!!! I had to look at the headstock again to make sure it wasn't MIA. The neck was nice and fat to boot. I might trade my new Peavey grind for it.

of course this is all just to hold me over untill i commission my first FBB.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you played two of my former basses: the warwick r&b (which i thought lacked usual passive balls) and the red fender mim 5 (the latter having come to me in a strange trade last week, so don't blame me for it's strings/setup :spit: )

and i know the feeling when you walk into the humble palace and find that it is nearly empty because bob is either at a show or getting ready/returning from one... and i only live ten minutes away! i was dying to get my hands on that 5500 as well, but when i went last week it was still in the process of being put back together i think... i came home with a lakland skyline instead. :bassist:

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I went there a few months ago & they're very cool & always have great gear on hand!!!! I bought the Tokai Jazz that day.

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

My stomping ground is Bass Central here in sunny Florida, but I have family in Long Island. Where is the Bass Palace? Maybe I need to make a visit next time I'm in NY... you know, to get away from family for a few hours.

8. Bass Palace is in Scranton PA, so it'd be at least a few hours from Long Island.

Mike

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm still bugging him about a Smith 6 he had on his site.

It's sold, but he told me he'd let me know if it came back (yeah,right).

I've got to find the time to get down to Perkasie!!!

10. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I read all these threads about ppl visiting Bass Palace and no one let's me know ahead of time they will be in my area. :(

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'll let you know next time I go.

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If you're ever in Jensen Beach, will you come visit me?:bawl: :(

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Good stuff i am moving to scranton in a few months
    at least their will be a few basses around.

14. Pete, you made my day! :) They are nice, aren't they?

Mike

15. I hadn't thought much about the Musicians because, well, they're ugly basses, but they sure do sound good.

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

Man oh man Peter, I just picked one of these up from the swami!! A nice sunburst/rosewood with a sweet tort gaurd.
    I didn't want to spend a lot of money venturing into the 5 string world for the first time, LOL!
    I haven't put the thing down in a week! Nice actives and the B sounds great, A might big bang for the buck.
    [​IMG]

17. ALRIGHT! Funkster's in the house O'five now!

Congrats! Nice looking axe. You know I love sunburst.

Mike :cool:

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I asked you about this bass in the J bass Picture gallery. I had one like it for a while & I wish I kept it. It was a really nice bass. But an American standard Jazz V ($500) that I'll be using with my Sadowsky out-board will be nice too. :bassist:

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I may be taking a trip down there some time this week.... Haven't been there in awhile and besides it's Bobs turn to buy the sushi...

20. Yeah, I have a 4, and it definitely plays/sounds better than many MIA's I have owned or played . . .

and I used to own a 5-string passive MIM that I defretted -- it had way more mwwwaaaahhhh than any USA Jazz fretless I've ever played.