1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Today's trip to GC...reviews of some basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey everyone. So today, for the first time in quite a while, I had a chance to sit down for a good 2 hours and just play a whole bunch of basses. I ended up using a Mesa M6 and 2 Mesa 4x10s, all settings pretty flat, messed around with the bass controls only. Decided to write a pretty quick impression thread. Here's what I tried, in the order I tried them, not preference:

1. Stingray classic. Saw these right away, had to give them a try. The first one had a maple board, gloss finish neck. Sounded great, but I couldn't stand the gloss, so I switched to the maple gun oil neck. Muuuuuch better, IMO. Fairly heavy bass, chunky yet somehow comfy neck. 2 Band eq, vintage style humbucker. It really did sound like a PreEB stingray...it shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did...but it did :D Fat, classic nasal sound that Stingrays have, with that little bit of honk to it. No clickety clack noise, no string rattle (could it be?!...a decent setup at GC?). Overall, very nice, cool looks, smooth sound. EBMM released quite a nice instrument.

2. Stealth Stingray was up next. Pretty cool to be able to A/B with the Classic. This bass was similar to the Classic, but with more treble. It was like the Geddy Lee Jazz of Stingrays. Bit of a harsher sound to me. Or you could describe it as aggressive, great for metal, lol. Just kidding, but it really would be good for it.

3. Hofner Icon. Extremely tight string spacing. It was pretty much guitar spacing almost. Very, very light bass. Somehow, the semi-hollow design added more clarity to the sound, although you'd think it'd sound more like a double bass. Very trebly sound, with a bit of airiness about it. I can see their appeal, but it wasn't for me.

4. Squier Active Deluxe 5. Great bass, excellent value. The B string was weak, but that's nothing a good pickup couldn't fix. The stock pups looked pretty cheap. Still, the bass sounded quite good. Great growl to it, but with quick playing it actually muddied up the stack. Again, I'd blame that on the pups...or my crappy playing.

5. Fender Road Worn 60s. This bass made me go @.@ Comfortable neck, although I wish it wasn't glossed after being sanded. I seriously became a fan of rosewood boards after playing this bass. For me, this was the winner of the night. So much so that it actually quelled my GAS for a Stingray. Growl, warmth, tight sound...everything all the Jazz "fanboys" (I hate that word, but I keep seeing it on TB so I'm using the term ppl know) rave about. In fact, I think I can say after that visit that I'm a Jazz bass fan myself...and here I thought I liked MM the best, lol. Not that J is better, I just like it better. All that from a MIM J bass, haha.

5. Squier Classic Vibe P. Really cool, very vintage tone. Lots, lots of mids, bass as well. Not all that much high end, but quite enough to cut through. The playability was pretty good, I didn't really stick with this bass for too long.

6. Fender MIA P. Good 'ole standard. This served as a "cool down" from the other basses. Warm, familiar, rubbery goodness. Quite a lot of fun to play, and I was reminded why so many people swear by these basses. The chunky neck wasn't for me, but very playable and definitely something I must pick up at some point to round out my arsenal.

Well, after all that, seems to me like the J and P were my faves, with the J the champ. It was a lot of fun, and now I need to visit a high end shop and try some fancy-schamncy basses again :p I would be very happy to elaborate on any of the basses I tried if anyone wishes me to. Just drop me a PM or reply here, and I'll type out some more thoughts. Thanks for reading.

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i played a stingray classic at my GC recently.
    i pretty much fell in love.
    awesome bass!

nice reviews my friend. i always look forward to hearing others opinions.

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    My pleasure. I too like reading others' opinions, and I bothered to post that for ppl like you and me. :)