Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Todd Bertuzzi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jawzzz, Mar 9, 2004.

1. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    What do you think should happen to Todd Bertuzzi? I think that he should be permanetly suspended from the NHL. The hit he made on Steve Moore was uncalled for. The guy has a broken neck now, along with a concussion and deep cuts to the face.It is very fortunate that he was not killed. This was a criminal act and should be treated as such. The NHL needs to set an example with Bertuzzi so that nothing like this ever happens again. By not allowing him to return to the NHL, this will say that they don't tolerate this behavior and it will not continue, or you won't play for them again.

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Give him the chair!!!

Red Wing fan :D

Oh, your an Avs fan? So what do you think of the Salo deal? Who did you guys give up for him?

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I just heard about the Salo deal. We gave up Tom Gilbert, a college prospect for him. I am excited about it. Hopefully my Av's can start winning again. Sauve has been sent to Hershey for now.

4. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    A 235lb guy "barely" hitting someone is gonna be pretty hard. He hit Moore in the temple, which knocked him out instantly. I don't think that he intentionally tried to hurt Moore like he did, but he is a veteran player who knows right from wrong and should be capable of containing such vengeful emotions that he had.

A mistake, Yes. Should it be tolerated,NO. A suspension for the remainder of the season is like a slap on the wrist. Guys in the NHL, are capable so much damage, especially someone the size of Todd Bertuzzi. He had plenty of opprotunities to go toe to toe with Worrell, and take out some frustration. Instead, he chose to go for the small guy. I find that a bit cowardly.

5. I think the fact he followed him around the ice for a bit before it happened to be the worst part about it. He must have known he wanted no part in Bertuzzi.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Anyone remember when Brashear was laid out by McSorley?

Bertuzzi was one of the first guys to come out saying how that crap wasn't allowed in the game, and how horrible it was.

Yeah, Bertuzzi didn't pull what McSorley did, but a bit hypocritical.

-Mike

7. It´s a shame that a player of Bertuzzi´s caliber acts like that. I never have understood the reasoning that fighting and violence are somehow a crucial part of hockey. Not all traditions are worth keeping up.

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Smash,

I don't think you realize how dangerous a headshot can be even if it was "a light hit". I saw a replay and to me it looked like his fist made it under Moore's helmet.

Just an FYI, cops can charge you with attempted murder if you hit them in the head. They take head shots very seriously.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Summer before last a young man died from single punch from a 165 pound man. One punch. He died. Now the young man who did it is in jail for man-slaughter. Imagine this, they were both ready to square off, it was no sucker punch.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What Bertuzzi did was really despicable and low. He deserves a looooong suspension for that.

I dumped him from my Yahoo fantasy hockey team, even before I'd heard he was going to be suspended.

11. I'm not a fan of the game. I would be, but I do not approve of the violence that is, for the most part, a big part of the attraction. I've seen kids at our local arena passively watching a junior hockey game, and the only time they got excited was when the players dropped their gloves and went at each other, while the refs hovered around watching the blood spill. Violence in hockey is condoned... so we can expect violence to occur.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    He should be suspended for as long as Moore is out. If he is out 6 months than that should be the suspension. If Moore can never play again, then that should be Bertuzzi's fate as well. I think it would pretty much end the idiotic violence in hockey

Mike

13. He certainly did have that intention. Bertuzzi's punch was retaliation for Moore's hit on Markus Naslund last month. Several Canucks players had vowed to even the score with Moore the next time the two teams played. Bertuzzi hit Moore as hard as he could, and he definitely rode him down and drove his face into the ice. Watch the replay. Bertuzzi is a pussy. I like Mike Dimin's idea.. Bertuzzi shouldn't play hockey again until Moore does.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I didn't hear about this till now...

But what it sounds like to me is that maybe the guy who got hit was a ticking time bomb? Maybe he had been taking hits in the head all season from checks and stuff, and that little punch was just the final blow for his body?

15. Why do you think you got him for a prospect? There isn't anyone in Edmonton who wish they had Salo back.

16. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

You should check out the replay dude. He was punched in the back of the neck at the base of the skull. If you are looking to knock someone out, this is the sweetspot.

After the hit, Bertuzzi rode Moore into the ice. Bertuzzi's forearms were parallel with Moore's shoulders and placed over the back of Moore's neck. That's how they fell to the ice. Then everyone else jumped on top of them.

17. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Totally agree with this.

18. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Smash,

If you break something, even if you didn't mean to, you have to pay the piper correct? That's what's happening / will happen to Bertuzzi. He may not have meant to break Moore's neck, but he certainly meant to sucker-punch him.

Actually I don't even know why I'm in this thread. It's not like I'm a hockey fan. I don't watch it at all.

cya

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Yeah, and I saw a legal *expert* who said that it was a crime, and he should be charged. So, what's your point?

If this had happened while they were actively fighting, I might feel differently. But, this was a punch to the back of the head while holding onto his jersey. He was punching him on the ground, too. A pretty cowardly act, in no uncertain terms. Funny how he didn't go after him in their previous encounter when the score was tied 5-5. I guess it wasn't that important to get revenge if it could mean the game, huh?

Whether he meant to break two of the guy's vertebre, or not, is irrelevant. Just because it happened on a hockey rink doesn't mean it wasn't a crime. There's plenty of precedent for being charged with a crime in cases like this.

I really don't see what "cops beating people up in their cells and charging you with whatever they want" has to do with any of this, either, since neither victim nor assaulter were cops.

"Judge not lest ye be judged"..."jury of more open minded people"--Give me a break. Tell you what--when I sucker punch someone in the back of the head during a GAME, you can pull out such tired cliches. :rolleyes:

But, you know, since we are bringing up completely irrelevant examples, I'm sure the old guy who drove through the market in California didn't mean to kill anyone, either. But, of course, they are just as dead, and he's still just as guilty of a crime.

"Whoops," isn't an adequate defense for losing your temper and breaking someone's neck.

20. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Suspend him, Fine Him LOTS of $$$$, then let the DA have a crack at him too...

I really LOVE hockey... and don't get me wrong, I love to see them mix it up, but it seems like this season the fights have just gotten really ridiculous. A Stars/Pheonix game back in January is a great case in point... sure it was the second worse loss by the Stars in franchise history... sure they were emotional... but it seemed like the gloves came off every 5 minutes... I buy my tickets to see a GAME... (and the glass candy's nice too ;) ) so it really gets on my nerves when there's more fight than game...