1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Todd Johnson DVD

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassinplace, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the "Todd Johnson Walking Bass Line Module System" DVD's. I'm debating between this and the Ed Friedland walking book. The thing I kinda like about this one is the DVD. If anyone has any first hand experience and opinons to give, it'd be much appreciated.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I have both Ed and Todd's tutorials and they are both good. Personally, I think you are better starting off with Todd's DVD's. As a complete noob to WB lines, I found Todd's DVD's easier to understand. When I had worked through these, I then bought Ed's book. For me personally, Todd's DVD's led nicely onto Ed's books.

Hope this helps. :)

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Most helpful, thanks!

4. OnThaCouch

OnThaCouch

Aug 10, 2006
    Fairfield, CA
    I agree with what fearceol has said above. I have both as well, but purchased them in reverse order (I picked up the WBL book/CD first).

Todd Johnson's DVD/book combo helped me make the connection much easier than reading it out of the book and listening to the CD.

I think it might just be my learning style as they are both great resources.

What the DVD seemed to do for me was give a pattern/module to work through and take some of the intial thinking out of it. It is simpliflied nicely. You are up and running, so to speak, right out of the box.

What Ed Friedland does really well is put the theory in easy to understand terms so you can start building your own lines.

Tom