Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Todd Johnson/Ron Eschete

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What do you guys think about Ron Eschete's bassist Todd Johnson?
    http://www.revjazz.com/ron.html
    Sometimes Im listening and loving it ,sometimes Im thinking,"Man I wish he was playing a double bass!" Because Eschete can be so old school I just want that timbre, that vibe.

What do you guys think

AJ

2. well, to be honest I've only read an article or two he wrote. he's a great educator, though, and I picked up some great ideas from him!

from the low end,

Stew

3. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I have known Ron for many years, and have going to see his trio on a regular bassis :D for a while now. Todd Johnson adds a bit of magic to the group with his midi electric. Todd is not only a great soloist, but has perfected a technique that Billy Sheehan said in his '97 Bass Day Video where he learned to cover some of the guitar parts on the bass, so they could hire one less person. Todd is able to make the trio sound like a quartet. On a personel note, Ron, Todd, and Kendal are some of the nicest people that you will ever meet. Later.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've been a big fan of the trio for years. Not only does Todd have the amazing bass w/comping technique but he also solos beautifully.

I've got all three trio (studio) CDs that I know of but can't seem to find the live one they put out a year or two ago. Oh well, I guess I'll have to order it.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yah, thats The side I love Todd is inventive yet firmly planted in the the old school. You can really hear his love for Ray Brown.

I just LOVE Eschete's playing He's one of my all time favorite guitar players, he's so tasty.Master of the melody.Its just that He's so old school that sometimes (OK alot) I want to hear some good o'l Doghouse.

AJ

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Its also kind of cool how Ron, since he plays a 7 string guitar with a low A or B, comps and plays bass lines when Todd solos. Excellent role reversal.

If you enjoy this kind of tasty guitar trio jazz but would like to hear more "doghouse", Check out the "Joe Pass Trio" reissues with Ray Brown on bass.