Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Todd Johnson Signature Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whappo Grande, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Todd Johnson picked up his amazing new 6 string “Todd Johnson” Zon bass last Friday, just in time to break it in at his BassQuake clinic & performance.

It is the best looking Zon I’ve ever seen or played. It has a beautiful smoky black finish with tiny frets, very low & fast action & a very deep cut-away on the C string side. Playing this monster is like a working with a laser in surgery; it’s the ultimate tool for tone & playability. Great work Joe & Mark!

I was doing fine controlling my gas, but no...I just had to play it.

Whappo
    AccuGroove Speaker Cabinets

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Are there any photos available anywhere?
    Or sound clips?

thanks,

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sticking on to this one. I want to know what it looks like. Todd's a monster player. Glad to hear he finally got himself a great bass. I always wondered about that John Myung signature he had.

4. tc99

tc99

Mar 25, 2005
    Long Island
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Q: What differentiates the TJ from a Sonus Custom 6? Just that wood block between the pickups?

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    However, I like quilt bub/swamp ash combo, so it's fine by me :p

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Oh, it's fine by me too!!! Definitely would love to have it.. All I was saying was it didn't appear (to me) to be the bass in question.

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    That photo of Todd is with the loaner Zon he had while Joe was crafting his bass. Within the next few days we should be able to find a photo that was taken at BassQuake.

Whappo

10. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Very cool bass. I was at the shop when Todd picked it up. The differences include: 26 frets, with a slightly extended fingerboard beyond the last fret (probably for ramp style playing), extended treble side cut away, ramp between the pickups, super small frets (couldn't tell you the exact wire size). He seemed to be having a great time with it. :hyper:

11. I may be wrong but I heard that apart from being a bass monster he is also a very very good teacher. Now to cap it all, his own signature Zon.

Too much for one person!

I am beginning to dislike him ;)

Mark, is Todd using your Accugroove Tri 110, I cannot tell from the photo above?. If so how long has he been using them? [sorry about the amp question in the basses forum]

Regards

Matthew

12. That's a nice looking Zon!!!

13. I hope this shows up...first time posting pictures.

Sorry for the poor quality, but it's a crop of a picture taken from my seat (no flash, handheld, Fuji F10 camera).

Bassquake was great! Thanks to everyone who put it up; the amount of talent there was amazing!

Attached Files:

14. What a bass!!!!!:eek:

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pocket Groover saves the day!!!! :bassist:

What a bass!

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ehhh, Zon basses are ok... ;)

17. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    I'm with you. It's not fair.

What planet do guys like this come from?

If you haven't checked out Todd's new Walking Bass DVD, you really should, it's phenomenal. His "Module System" is the most logical/musical approach I've ever seen. If you want to walk, this is how to do it.

18. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    pocket_groover: Thank you for the photo. If you look close you can see that the lower cut away goes about 1/2" to 1" beyond the 26th fret for great accessibility.

Matthew: Like my friend Steve Lawson, Todd replaced his TWO (Brand X) cabinets, in this case TWO 1x12 cabs with ONE Tri 110L about 2 months ago. Todd has been a great friend for years so whatever gear he has chosen to play does not affect our relationship. However, after plugging into our gear again, he simply could not go back.

So yes, Todd plays a 6 string with one of the baddest B strings on the planet through a little Tri 110L that handles everything he can throw at it. For the record, I play 6 string 98% of the time & my cabinets, including the Tri 110L were designed with & for a 6 string. Every cabinet that leaves the shop gets tested by me personally playing a 6 string through it.

Steve Lawson also plays 6 string (One is a Modules fretted & one a Modules fretless) with our Tri 110L. There is nothing lacking with even our smallest of cabs.

Humbly,
    Whappo

19. Where can we find this Walking Bass DVD if one was interested in purchasing it?

20. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    You can get it straight from the man himself: http://www.toddjohnsonmusic.com/