1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Toenniges Diamond Bass #42 dtd. 1948 For Sale

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by BlietzMusic, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For Sale: Paul Toenniges Diamond Bass # 42. dtd. 1948 by Scott (blietzmusicco@yahoo.com)
    Paul Toenniges personal Diamond Bass # 42, dtd. 1948. This bass was purchased from the Toenniges family thru LA Bassworks in 1999. It remains in excellent condition. The instrument has a spruce top with maple neck, scroll & back. The F holes are elongated, vertical diamonds slanted slightly towards the center. The center ribs each have had a vertical diamond hole cut into them by the maker. The varnish is a light orange/brown over a gold ground coat. Label reads: No. 42 Paul Toenniges Violinmaker USA 1948 Asking Price: US$ 42,500. Papers: Cert. of Authenticity & historical photos of maker w/ instrument. Seller: Scott Blietz Santa Clarita, CA. 91350 PH#661-296-3123

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Oy, this sounds scrumptious. I'll be the first to ask: pictures?

3. Hi Guys,
    Here's some photos of my bass as requested.

Best regards,
    Scott

Attached Files:

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Are you sure that's maple on the back, sides & neck? Others I've seen from that period were made with Yellow Birch, because it was difficult for Toenniges to get the nice European maple around WW2. John Feeney has one in the NYC area, and it's a cannon. He's also a MONSTER player, but that's another story.

5. Hi Arnold,
    Yes I'm positive of this. It's flamed Maple.

Best regards,
    Scott

6. Gil

Gil

Oct 20, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    String length? D or Eb neck?

7. Hi Gil,
    String length is 42 inches or 106.7 cm.

The neck is a D.

Best regards,
    Scott