1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Togar Basses!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by orange joe, Mar 25, 2013.

1. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Greetings fellow believers.

i have recently acquired my first luthier build bass.i traded in 3 basses to The Low End Bass Shop and rolled the dice on a beautiful Togar bass.Crotch walnut top/maple/walnut body with a 5 piece maple/bloodwood/wenge/bloodwood/maple neck,cocobolo fretboard,gaboon ebony headstock cap hipshot hardware and duncan pups and pre-amp.i had previously not heard of these basses but i had a 30 trade in warrenty if i didnt like it and low end had a veitte-citron that i would have been very happy with,also brian at lowend isn't going to be selling shleps,so i took the dive.but i got the Togar and right of the bat i was very impressed with the craftsman ship.the neck feels so good in my hand,it just sits perfectly.it plays as well as i could ask for.i've since been in touch with Mr.Tom Garden at Togar guitars.hes a very nice guy more then willing to chat for hours.He went to the Roberto-Venn school of lutherie then stayed on for a few years as an instructor before going off and starting Togar Basses.Lowendbassshop.com still has a nice lacewood with lace alumitone humbuckers of Tom's on there.i invite you to check it out as well as his site togarguitars.com.here are a few pics of my wonderful new bass
    CIMG0888.
    CIMG0890.
    CIMG0889.
    Thanks for looking and please help me try to get these basses out there.bassist will not be disappointed.thank you all for your time and keep it low!

2. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Very nice! How does it play?

3. Draculea

Draculea

Oct 2, 2011
    Mexico City
    Cool bass, I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Nice bass

5. tds2277

tds2277

May 18, 2011
    Maricopa , AZ
    :bassist: Hello, my name is Terry I would like to let everyone know a bit more about Togar Basses, He designs 3 Models the Cumulus, Stratus, One Peice, If you or anyone you know that is interested in a TOGAR BASS - this is really going to give you some piece of mind. First of all Togar is just a few miles from my house, and I have had the pleasure to really get to know Tom as a Luthier and as a person, Watched him build a few Bases from scratch, over a 6 Month period, I was there about every Tuesday or Thursday and as I had this rare opportunity to do so, he basically would explaine to me every step of the way, as we would discuss various Bassist, or bands, and music in general, it was a Experiance I will sincerely never forget. Tom is also a very talented Bass Player, and as a Person he is what is classified as being (to nice) Tom does'nt push his product on people, and even he says he is not here to reinvent the wheel. Making basses is Toms Passion, and that is why he does what he does. You may ask why I dont own one, Tom respects the fact that I want something a bit more custom, and he doesnt do custom work

If you go to his web site you will not see the Basses below, someone desinged his web site, and frankly just burned him, but I am going to upload these pics, so you can see the real TOGAR Basses. If anyone would like to email Tom and inquire a purchase, a build or just to say hello and discus music....Well here is his email address ...togarbasses@yahoo.com
    Lets get onto those pics! This is just a small sample of Toms Work, inquire with him on what else he may have available

30160022. SpaltedMapleCumulas5. Stratus4String. Togar008. Togar005. BacoteZircote013. BacoteZircote011. Togar5.

6. orange joe

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    it plays great.this is my first experiance with duncan humbuckers as i previously used emgs,but they sound great.the pre amp gives me lots of flexabilty with my sound.i usually only use the bridge pick up but i switch it up depending on what i'm playing.i can tell you how awsome it is all day long,but the truth is toms work speaks for itself and you dont really know until you have one in your hands.i'll have this bass until i die,then it will be going in the casket with me.cosmetically its a work of art and it does play as well as it looks.i wear it slung high on the strap and it conforms to my body perfectly.some say its a bit heavy at 9 pounds but i dont think so,especially compaired to the Kramer DMZ metal neck i had in the past.i really want to get people talking about toms basses.he does great work and deserves to get these basses and his name out there.i'll post a video as soon as i can.
    Keep it low folks
    ~Phil

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Wow-really beautiful wood choices and finishes. Your own bass is beautiful. Yes, keep it forever and play the heck out of it. Uh...please do not get it having a road-worn look. No buckle rash please. Treat it respectfully for the beauty it has and the care obviously worked into it by Tom. I am sure it sings (basso of course)!

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Those look really nice.

9. Anyone know if he has done any 32" medium scale?

BassHappy

10. orange joe

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    good question.i was on the phone with him last nigh for an hour and a half just shooting the **** and discussing a fretless version of the bass i have now just with a ebony board instead of cocobolo and a 6 string.i am also interested in a med scale but forgot to ask him.but there is one way to find out.Toms business phone is 520 568 0511.give him a ring he's always down to chat and he's a great really funny guy.hit him up!

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What's a price range? I'm generally not inspired by coffee table basses, but those are kinds neat to me for some reason. I dig the funky body shape. I wonder if he would paint one....

12. orange joe

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    i'm told the price range varies depending on the wood,pickups,tuning machines,ect.give him a ring.he's a nice fellow and has now problem chatting for a while

13. orange joe

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    i take great care of my Togar.it has gone from the case to my hands then right back to the case.not a scratch on it.no buckle rash here i wear up too high for that but thats how i like it.

14. orange joe

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Just got some SGD sidewinder pickups installed in the Togar.Man i love this bass!

15. orange joe

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Havent posted in a while.The Togar is still my most prized possession.Trying out a bunch of new pickups in it.I got a pickup from TBer Big T and it sounds great.I'm trying to get my hands on another Togar.Tax season is comming up

16. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Hmm, I hear Togar and think of Rock N Roll High School.

That's a very nice looking bass up there--and it looks well balanced to.

orange joe likes this.
  17. orange joe

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    They balance great.Can't wait to get another

18. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I picked up the one here a few weeks ago and it's a beauty . Plays like a dream , light weight and sounds really nice .
    He is still pretty unknown but boy can he build a fine bass.
    IMG_1414.

IMG_1382.

IMG_1381.

IMG_1378.

IMG_1376.

5_zpsaimkknjn.

20170212_234358_zpshfyqzncu.