1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Toggle switch concern....HELP?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SimplemanBB450, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Just purchased this toggle switch to wire into my P-J bass as a on,on,on actuation. All toggle switches I've seen have 6 prongs where this has only 4. Can I still take one hot wire from a pickup to one side of the switch and the other hot wire to the apposing side with a jumper going between the center prong and send a signal wire to the volume pot?

2. Anything?

3. That switch has three connections, not four.And the usual open-frame Gibson style toggles typically have four connections, not six. The difference is that this switch is SPDT center on, while other toggles are generally DPST, so that the pickups can be wired to separate outputs if desired.

In any case, it should be pretty obvious how to wire it. The center terminal is the output, and the other two are inputs. Be sure to ground the chassis.

4. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    4th prong is ground

it only has 1 circuit (2 in and 1 out / 1 in and 2 out).

Toggles with 6 prongs, that's 2 independent circuits, enables you to true bypass

what exactly is supposed this toggle to do? switch between 2 pickups? mute?

5. The toggle is used for switching the pick ups. One position is for neck p/u, center position is both neck + bridge, and final position is bridge.

Thanks everyone for your help!

6. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not a big expert but i cannot find the way you have both pickups at center position with this toggle

7. It should be a center-on.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The switch disconnects a pickup when you switch to the other. In the center they are both on.

Look at the first switch on this diagram:

Wiring Diagram

9. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    I learn something new everyday