1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Toggling from my B3K to another pedal I notice something.....(and what pairs well with your B3K?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MGR, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I brought up this topic in the Mr Black OD thread, but after thinking about it more, I was wondering if others were experiencing the same thing so I felt it deserved its own thread.

If I am playing thru my B3K for a while, I notice that when I toggle to my Black OD, the Black OD has, to my ears, a sort of hollow, nasally quality to it. But if I play only my Black OD without having used the B3K before it, it sounds just fine.

It got me wondering if the baked in EQ curve of the B3K somehow "tunes" my ears and then when I go to a different pedal, that different pedal sounds weird. Not bad, not good, just weird.

I also notice this phenomenon with my Big Game Bedlam, my Fuzzrocious Demon, My VFE Pale Horse. They just don't sound good after I use the B3K, but sound great on their own if I don't use the B3K.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about stacking these pedals with the B3k. I am talking about toggling back and forth.

Does anyone else notice this? The phenomenon bothers me enough that I never use the B3K and the Black OD in the same song.

I do notice that some of my other pedals really sound fantastic (or at least not weird) when toggled back and forth with the B3k. These include the Dungeon Master, the Superfuzz, the Diabolik, the Static Fuzz and the Cool Buzz bass Fuzz.

In writing the previous paragraph I notice that the pedals that sound, to my ears, the best with the B3K are all high gain distortions or Fuzzes. It seems only other lower gain, "natural sounding" overdrives exhibit this phenomonenon with the B3k, at least to my ears.

If you have or haven't noticed this, perhaps there could be salvaged by listing pedals that sound great paired up (not stacked) with the B3K.

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not specifically with the B3K, but I have noticed something similar with chorus and envelope filter pedals - after I switch them off, I feel like I'm still hearing some of their effect in my tone. I wonder if there is something to our ears "tuning" to the pedals somehow.

3. I find my B3K pairs well with a warm OD, specifically the Vintage Microtubes.
    It takes the small amount of fizz off the B3K when put after it, and makes for a very nice amplike grunt.
    Playing: 022816d.mp3 - picosong

anavar likes this.
  4. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    This.

or the new boss preamp BB1x

FaithNoMan likes this.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    There is such a thing as ear fatigue, as an example it happens when mixing tracks for a long time and at high volume. Listening to the mix the next day will sound very different from how you heard it at the end of the session. Some frequencies are affected more than others so it's not linear, it changes the "EQ curve" so to speak. Maybe something like this is what happens to your ears.

6. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks. I have heard of this phenomenon, but didn't think to apply it to this example because I could only be playing with the B3K for a minute and the Black OD still sounds weird. Obviously this thread has not garnered much interest/reply, so it's hard to really say if it's just me, but I think it's a "subset" of the ear fatigue phenomenon in that the ear gets so tuned to the baked in idiosyncratic eq curve of the B3K that going to a more "natural" sounding OD is just too much of a curveball to throw the ear. I figure if I can hear it, my band and the audience can at least perceive it, so that's why I personally never use the B3K certain pedals in the same song. I have actually had to pull out all my dirt pedals to see which ones pair the best with it, and found the best ones are any fuzz or high gain distortion. But none of my low/med gain overdrives sound good with the B3K. Of course EMMV (everyone's mileage may vary).

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'd be very surprised if they do. Who is to say what is the "right" sound anyway, and especially in a full band mix? You're overthinking this. ;)

blindrabbit and FaithNoMan like this.
  8. What's REALLY funny is after messing with a mix so long and you make big stupid mistakes.

Oh, like swapping between two settings repeatedly and after painstaking evaluation.....realize both things were bypassed and you were listening to the same thing the whole time!

blindrabbit and karla684 like this.
  9. I have noticed this with a few pedals, not just the B3k. I was waiting to reply cuz I've got a B7k on order. But what I try to do is stack pedals anyway, and I think it takes away some of this effect (also I'm to lazy to try to step on 2 switches at the same time :D). On this same note, I feel like once I turn the B3k on in a song, I sometimes don't like going back to my clean tone; it sounds too dull.

cheechi likes this.
  10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've done that! Trying to dial in my Meatball to sound like my Q-Tron, after much tweaking I thought I'd pretty much nailed it! Looked again and the Q-Tron was on, not the Meatball.

:roflmao:

FaithNoMan likes this.
  11. I just got my B7k and I agree with this. (I've had a B3k before but upgraded for the extra EQ options). I've owned several ODs before and have sold them all, for me the B7k is IT for overdrive.

If you want to add a high gain pedal to your list, the TAFM sounds good with the Darkglass.

Darkglass likes this.
  12. This is how I feel about the B7k also.

I have two amps, one with baked in tube gain, one ss as 'transparent' as possible for an amp. I have to force myself to use the b7k only with the ss because I can't unhear how great it is when I play through the other. And it takes days to unhear it, although playing with fuzzes helps.