Toilet flooded and neighbors are PISSED!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bad news in Strange-land. Our toilet flooded today, leaving about 2 inches of water on the floor. It soaked through the floor and did some pretty extensive damage on our downstairs neighbors home. Not good. I was the *ahem* offending person, and although I caught it and soaked up all the water, I wasn't quick enough.

I guess this would be ok if our neighbors were cool, and if there was insurance to cover this sort of thing (roommate who owns the place doesn't have it, anyway). These people already don't like it when I play my bass at low volumes at 5 PM, and now I've gone and ruined their ceiling and walls. Ugh.

We don't know how much it's going to cost, but it may be in the thousands. Perhaps insurance will pick up some of it - perhaps none of it. We may be screwed.

Anybody else had a similar problem?
  2. I flooded the school bathroom and it leaked into the basement. They let the walls dry out and everything was dandy.

Depends on whether it's just stains, or if the sheet rock is destroyed really... I wish you luck, hopefully insurance will bail you out.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you are renting, the owner of the place should be insured for damage caused by fixtures (ie the toilet) on the property to other properties. It is not the liability of the occupier unless they could prove that you were negligent in the use of the toilet or something along those lines.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Defintely the landlord responsibility. Ass soon as you fluch it, it becomes the respoinsibilty of the drainage pipe, which are the landlord responsibility. So, except for angry neighbors, you don't have too much to worry aobut. Good luck!
  5. Unless the laws are different in your state a landlord has to have a place insured before they can lawfully rent it.

Are we talking about drywall? Ours flooded probably a year ago, I don't think it was as bad as yours sounds but there was no damage. It will just take awhile to dry out. Don't worry about the stains, you can get a spray can of drywall stuff to cover those up.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    My landlord is my roommate. He owns the 2nd floor of the house, neighbors own the downstairs floor. The walls are plaster. I don't imagine that it would be that big of a deal, but they are making it out to be the end of the world.

Barry (roommate) went downstairs when he got the call and checked it out, and said it looked pretty bad. He talked with the people and they were being a little jerky (understandable, sort of), and they agreed to wait and see what insurance was going to say. Then they called again a few hours later just to bitch some more, and then started including complaints about my music, plus complained about how our new roommate (who just moved in) needs to get carpet on the floor in her room because they can hear her stomping around in there (she's 5'6" and weighs maybe 110 pounds, tops). These people live to complain.

Then he said it was going to be about $30,000 worth of damage. Is this unbelievable or what?
  7. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Don't stress, even though your landlord is your roomate, it is still his problem and not yours. Don't let them pass the buck on to you because they had a faulty toilet etc.

PS when it was flooding, why didnt you just turn the tap off at the mains?
  8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I did turn it off. I did some serious bailing, and then I fixed the toilet to where it will never do it again.

I know it's Barry's responsibility, and I'm not feeling guilty; accidents happen. I'm mostly pissed at our neighbors for making this harder than it is. Barry's going to be out of a lot of money, and they aren't helping much.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sounds like you're in deep doo-doo. Maybe for insurance purposes you should make a log of everything that happened. I guess I'd be pissed too if I were you're neighbor but just tell them shat happens.

brad cook

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If they are already being annoying about the bass playing, I'd make a point to show them your ridiculous rack full of Mesa Tube goodness. Then, I'd tell them, "Look, I understand you are annoyed by the flooding, but don't start piling on with other complaints. Because, I don't want to have to give you something to complain about." :bassist:
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    That really stinks, man!
  12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    !st and for most, Get a fan or seven in the down stairs and up stairs to dry out the place. Is it Sheetrock or is it plaster? Did it get into the insulation of the wall and ceiling? What type of ceiling do they have?

Can you get a pic of the damage?
    I am a contractor and with some more info I may be able to help you out some.
  13. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    My Advice? Don't poop as much next time.
  14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The walls are plaster. I was told it looks pretty bad, but I haven't seen it and I'm not expecting an invite anytime soon. They are also claiming it ruined their bed as well. :rolleyes:

That's it! From now on, I will never poop again.
  15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Plaster dries out. Cracks can be easily fixed.

Water stains on plaster surfaces are best fixed
    by sealing with SHELLAC first, then a coat of the
    original color ceiling paint over.

Bed sheets can be washed.

I think the complaints are excessive.

Interior damage to the neighbors condo is the
    responsibility of their own homeowners policy.
    Assuming they own it, if not, then their landlord's

That insurance company may seek to recover the
    claim from the insurance company of your roommate,
    in this case there is none it appears. Can't get blood
    from a stone. There is nothing to recover.

I would offer to wash the sheets and seal the ceiling.
    That's it, floods can happen.

Playing your bass at 5PM is a separate issue, and should
    be dealt with in a separate conversation.
  16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    "Accidents" happen.

That's what insurance is for.

Two Examples:
    -Just like a car accident that your responsible for even though
    it was a complete accident. Somebody has to be liable for damages.

-A Storm blows through town and knocks down your tree into
    the fence you share with your neighbors: A classic "Act of God."
    The owner of the tree is liable for the repair.

The owner of the property is strictly liable for the neighbor's damage.

If a lawsuit was filed by the neighbors for damages,
    the owner would have no defense.

If the neighbors have insurance, their insurance company
    may go after person who owns the property to recoup
    the pay out, and this person would also be liable for the
    policy holder's deductable.

If there is a "Can't get Blood from a Stone" situation,
    a lien against the property can be levied.
    No Home loans until lien is lifted.
    And eventually, the Money will be paid when property is sold.

Yeah, your screwed.
  17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
  18. Next time just skip the toilet and crap on the doorstep...

Maybe a paper bag, a little bit of fire...

19. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Wouldn't that be stooping to a lower level?
  20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like that would just be dumping your
    problems off on someone else. It isn't right to
    continue to defecate the neighbor's property
    after flooding them with your first overload ...