1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Toiling over cab(s)...Mesa Subway content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by two fingers, Sep 16, 2020.

1. 215

53 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Two 115s

120 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm driving myself crazy.

I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a TT800 and one or two cabs.

I'm a 215 guy. I took me years to understand that about myself. I just love 2 15" speakers working together.

I love the idea of a "one cab to rule them all" solution like the Subway 215. This would be that stupid cool cab that would make me grin every time I fire it up. It doesn't hurt that it's pretty much a one hand wall of sound cab at only 60 pounds.

Mesa/Boogie Subway 2x15 - 2x15" 800-watt 4-ohm Bass Cabinet

But I also love the practicality of being able to take one smaller (still amazing) cab when I will occasionally run a lower-wattage tube head like the Ashdown LB30. I'm also interested in grabbing an Ampeg PF50T (unless @agedhorse has a low wattage tube amp up his sleeve... wink wink). And then I can still get all 215 crazy with the TT if I get two of them.

Mesa/Boogie Subway Bass Cabinet - 400-watt 1x15" 8 ohms

Of course.... first world problem. (I despise that phrase. But I figured I would cut off the first world problems jerkweasel who has to interject himself into half the threads like this around here.:cool:)

Short version: The 215 would just be stupid cool. Two 115s would be more practical.

I'm torn....

(I didn't do a search. I hope I didn't post this exact same thread weeks ago. :wacky:)

Bounce your thoughts off of me.

LowActionHero, MCF, DJ Bebop and 7 others like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    The correct answer is the 2 x 115 cabs one.
    You know this in your head...you just gotta convince your heart.
    Have a couple of margaritas and figure it out.:)

Also, what happened to that teaser thread of yours about building your own cab?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah, time is getting away from me. I would LOVE to build one. But every time I start planning it, one glance at the calendar makes me rethink it. Full-time job, two young daughters, band, yada yada.

MCF, DJ Bebop, Huw Phillips and 3 others like this.
  4. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

In my opinion, with the situation you presented, I'd go with 2 x 115 cabs.

Hachimitsu, db59 and Bassdirty like this.
  5. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Well, you save $199 by going with the 2x15. I'm sure your wife and daughters could help you figure out how to spend the savings. :thumbsup:

6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Don't tell me your feeling your age. I'm 74 so I NEED 2 1x12's 30 lbs each. but I WANT 1 Mesa 2x15 cab 60 lbs. ;)

12BitSlab, Jason Hollar, MCF and 8 others like this.
  7. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Why not one of each? I have an old Acoustic 106 (pretty large), but I also used to have a 1x15 and a 1x12 for those smaller gig/rehearsal requirements.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    An attenuator on a HF horn is good to have but I prefer an off position as well. I’d start with a single 15, then get a second if you feel that you need it.

two fingers likes this.
  9. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I also have n old Acoustic 106. I like 215s. I'd go with the 215. Same footprint and you can always turn down if necessary.

two fingers and Atshen like this.
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    The single cab solution always tickles the cool feels. Then analysis paralysis sets in and practicality creeps up into the fray.

I want to take the plunge and go with a Subway "system" with 2 1x15 and a 12, followed by eenie meenie miney mo on whichever Subway amp. I have no doubt any of the amps will bring the grins.

Problem for me is I have the tools, parts and drivers to build three amazing cabs, the experience to get 'em right, and the time to do it. That said, there's simply other-level wizardry in play with buying the Equine designs; of which I'm years behind being capable of.

So I propose adding a third, albeit much pricier but more modular option, 1x15 pair and single 12.

You're welcome for muddying the waters with an additional idea. ;)

DJ Bebop, S-Bigbottom, five7 and 2 others like this.
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    215 + 115= 6 times better than 115........ I love spending other people's money :) BTW I have 2x 115 and have never regretted it......will seldom if ever use the 2 together.....but know I can. Having played the 215 and 2x 115......the 315 stack is a bit of a day dream for me.

Max Bogosity, Dino78, MCF and 5 others like this.
  12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Two 115 is four times better than one 215, the poll has spoken. I would have put it at ten times better personally. I've had two killer 115 cabs for around a dozen years now, I think the second one has made it out of my house two or three times, tops.

Al Kraft, MCF, DJ Bebop and 6 others like this.
  13. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    You know my position on this.

two fingers likes this.
  14. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The 215 has the same footprint and looks cooler than the stack. I used to own two SW 15s and brought them always as a pair to gigs. I eventually realized that the single 215 with the built in wheels makes an easier schlep for me. Lifting two 40lb cabs into the back of an SUV vs. tilting and sliding one 60 pounder. No brainer. Also no extra dolly needed.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Two 115's. We ain't getting any younger.

murphy, Bassdirty and two fingers like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Two members of the Swedish bikini team, is way better than just one, who weighs 215 lbs.

The Poles decline comment.

StevieMac, JRA, DJ Bebop and 10 others like this.
  17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

i think you're still young enough to be "stupid cool" --- but you're also old enough to be admired for your practicality...i guess you're at an awkward age. :D

i voted for "two 115s" only because i'm at an age where being practical is "stupid cool!" :laugh: good luck with your cabinet choices! :thumbsup:

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The obvious answer is a 215 and a 115.
    Then even if you outrun the 215...
    Just sayin :D

DrMole, murphy, Dino78 and 6 others like this.
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Pics or it didn't happen.

For so many years I had to use two 115s just to be able to play out, and it was still way too easy to blow them up, couldn't be happier that it's not that way anymore.

DJ Bebop, Spidey2112 and two fingers like this.
  20. Go with the two 115s. More flexibilty. There will be some gigs that only require one 115.
    I just saw yesterday that Sweetwater is doing 0% financing for 36 months on all Mesa gear! This doesn't happen very often and I am going to try to convince my wife this evening that it's an opportunity of a lifetime! (I have a SW 115 now).

This means I would only have to pay $25/month for 6 months! You would be paying $50/month (if you went with two 115s) or $45/month if you went with the 215.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...