1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tokai Hard Puncher at a pawn shop.. now i have GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by recreate.me, May 13, 2010.

1. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    OKay so i was pawning around today and saw one of these at a pawn shop. It played pretty nicely and looked rather old, seems like most of them come from the 80s. This one is sunburst with a black guard, everything looks original and works well.

The neck had a little '60' down by the pocket, i dont know what this means it was almost like a smaller banner instead of written. The body had no dents, just some scratches and the frets looked pretty good aside from one gouge around the 7ths on the E that didn't seem to bother me at all.

Not sure the exact year, but they wanted 399CAN for it, what do you guys think?

Sorry for the lack of pics, i wasnt thinking about it until after i left her haha

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    It's not a Fender. Talk him down to $50.

3. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    lol oh i know that

I tried, they say they base the price on the 'blue book' value of the bass, then adjust for its condition.

4. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I would be asking to see that blue book.

Then play it off like you don't really want the bass that bad.

5. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    haha they told me they turned down offers of 350 and have had it for a couple months.. Found out the 60 is just the HP 60 model..

Anyone know if these basses are Nitro finish or Poly?

6. cvogel

cvogel

Dec 17, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    If they wont go down, 400 CAD is not a bad price. those are really great basses and I see them listed on the bay for 400-500 US. If its a 70's or early 80's you would be getting a pretty awesome bass for not a lot of cash.

7. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I did lots of checking and it looks all original except for the knobs. The 60 on the neck means it's pb60 which was supposed to be the high end model.
    I'm still trying to sell some guitar stuff if I do I will totally buy it. It played pretty nice aside from the fret buzz lol

8. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004

I was kidding- it's a fine bass, as non-boutique Fender style basses go. If it were a MIA Fender people would be telling you to grab it at the price offered. That's why I said that :D

9. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I would buy it TODAY. You can`t go wrong for that price. And when you have money to burn down the road you can buy an 80s Fender .... and you will still probably prefer the Hard Puncher.
    By the way $400 CDN these days is about $400 US.
    The Canadian dollar at par it making buying on EBAY or TalkBass much more appealing that it has been. It will probably change buying habits for Canadians. Instead of buying locally the US market is opening up.

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    If it has the Fender shaped headstock, it is worth the money, as these go from $400-500 depending on the day and condition. Aside from the market value, these are easily worth much more, as they sound incredible, are bullet-proof, and have nice necks and can be set up to play beautifully. Be aware that many need a few washers on the trussrod nut to be able to get the neck straight with higher tension strings, and that the tuners can slip, usually the 'A'.

I own three, one of which I loaned to my drummer, two of which are my main gigging basses. Both have the '50' sticker, yours would have supposedly higher quality woods used in the construction.

These have a very upfront and lively '70s P tone, great rock basses.