1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tokai Hard Puncher p/j bass (HPB90)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninjai, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ninjai

ninjai

Dec 30, 2007
    Japanland
    I guess a first thread warrants a (very) short intro. Long time lurker, currently living in japan, own a g&l l-1000, and a fender japan vintage jb75F/BD.

I was recently trying to quell my desire for a p-j bass on THE Japan site for used/new instruments (digimart.net). It is evil, so very evil, but in a good way.

here is what i came across.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

essentially its a new release from tokai
    ash body
    maple neck, satin finish
    rosewood fretboard 41mm width@ nut
    the basses are also offered in a translucent purple or red.
    tokai japan website

just curious to see what my fellow talkbassers think about this bass. It seems not to be a japan only series, but the lack of sellers in japan tells me they might not last long. If by any chance someone has played one of these, please tell me your impressions of feel and sound.

Im gasing for the blue as its about 200$ cheaper used and i love trans blue. However, I think the trans black or purple would be an amazing contrast to my already trans blue l-1000. Out of curiosity what colour would you choose?

also tokai offers the hpb70, with more plain colors, alder body, silver hardware, and non matching headstock.

2. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Dude those are AWESOME. The blue and purple both look great.

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    That purple one is sweet!

4. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    The top blue one is nice, but it would look better with chrome HW, Imho

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like everything but the pearloid pickguards. The finishes are beautiful, though. Wouldn't mind that black one with a BWB pickguard.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow, those are stunning!