1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Tokai Jazz MIJ Custom Edition w HSC - Early 80's! LOTS OF PICS!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    For sale is a very rare Tokai Jazz Bass Custom Edition (note this is NOT a "Jazzy Sound" bass).

These don't come up much on TB or anywhere else for that matter.

Made in Japan and dating some time back to the early 80's as evident by the "lawsuit" headstock, this is a jazz copy which will blow your mind.

The history as I understand is that Tokai made some damn fine Fender copies during Fender's dark years (also know as the 80's). Fender was really smarting at the time and they had the great idea that rather than suing the company, they should just contract with them to make Fender, hence Fender shifted all of their "standard" model production to Japan at the same factory.

So this is essentially a MIJ Fender Jazz bass but form the "lawsuit" era when Tokai had their own thing going on.

This bass is based off of an early 60's J, right down to the reverse clover tuners and the extra strap button on the back side of the headstock. This bass retains the "reverse F" Tokai logo and the L##### serial number which helps me date it to pre 1983. That is the best I can do as for age.

I could not find much information on the Custom Edition basses but it appears to have been their "premium" version of the Jazz bass based on what I have seen with the Custom Edition of guitars. The most obvious distinguishing features are the headstock logo and the body which lacks a pickguard for a more, well, custom look.

The body is alder and the neck is a really nicely figured maple. Frets are the vintage low profile frets which make for easy playing and low action.

The tuners as mentioned above are vintage style reverse clovers, and the bridge is fender style but the saddles have multiple small grooves (see pics) which allow you to customize the string spacing to some extent.

This bass does have a little mojo. There a major chip behind the top side of the lower bout-- unnoticeable to your audience but very much there. The rest is basically compression dinging and some light marking here and there that would likely come out with buffing, etc. there is also some light oxidation on the tuners which I believe can be cleaned up.

The neck is in terrific condition and very stable with that vintage tint to it as pictured.

I really cannot emphasize enough just how great this bass is. I mean it looks, sounds and feels like an old J bass. The quality is exceptional.

If you are a fan of Tokais and/or 80's Japanese knockoffs then you know what this is all about. If you are looking for a bass with the vibe, feel and attitude of an old Fender on a budget, this will not disappoint.

Taking into account the mojo, the rarity factor, and the going prices of Jazzy Sound Tokais from the same era, I am asking $SOLD! shipped CONUS. Will be shipped in a HSC.

Please feel free to PM any offers or questions.

Lots of very detailed pictures below. Many are taken with macro feature to highlight the blems, but again, overall this bass is a good looker with the worst of the blems out of plain sight.

Enjoy the viewing!

Picture001.
    Picture002.
    Picture003.
    Picture004.
    Picture005.
    Picture006.
    Picture007.
    Picture008.
    Picture009.
    Picture010.
    Picture011.
    Picture012.
    Picture013.
    Picture014.
    Picture015.
    Picture016.
    Picture017.
    Picture018.
    Picture019.
    Picture020.
    Picture021.
    Picture022.
    Picture023.
    Picture024.

2. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I know it's sometimes hard to see in a photo. Would you describe the white finish to be creamy or stark white or something in between?

Thanks

3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    To answer your question, I would say this is in between but closer to stark white.

Also, just played this for a 3 hour session tonight. My friend who hosts has the sessions recorded through a board so I should have mp3s for anyone who is seriously interested and wants to hear this baby in action by tomorrow some time. If you would like mp3 to listen to, please pm me your email address. I prefer not to host files online.

Lastly, PMs from others received and replied to.

Thanks!

RBM

4. Man I want one of these basses so bad. Bad timing for me though. No cash to play with sadly. Good luck with the sale.

5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I remember when these were the rage on 48th St. in NYC, these are superb bases :) Good luck with the sale, it's well worth every penny!

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah, the golden era if you're a 70's/80's kid.

I got MP3 from last night. Played this through a 65 amp (their rendition of the B15). Absolutely mind-blowing.

Can anyone tell me how can I host MP3? You have to hear this...

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Scratch that. MP3's are here:

Tokai Jazz Bass MP3 - Windows Live

8. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bump for some Japanese uber jazz love. Listen to the MP3s-- classic J tone!

9. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    This is a really cool bass. Good luck with the sale. If I had 6 hungee to blow it would be mine!

10. what do you mean?

"For sale is a very rare Tokai Jazz Bass Custom Edition (note this is NOT a "Jazzy Sound" bass)."

Love the MP3's BTW.

11. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    That is sweet...if something I have sells, I am all over it.

12. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    The typical production Tokai Jazz copy was called 'Jazzy Sound' which was right on the headstock like 'Jazz Bass' would have been. This bass appears to be a different model. I'll bet it's a honey:bassist:
    The MIJ stuff from that period had some really great names for their copies. I own a '77 Aria 'Precise' Bass. Tokai also sold a 'Hard Puncher' P, 'Springy Sound' Strats, etc.
    Ok, derail and bump combo!

13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    What I mean is that their most common production model J was called the "Jazzy Sound" bass. This is not that model-- this is their "Custom Edition" model. More info is available for Tokai Fedner style guitars line, and for guitars the Custom Edition was offered as their "premium" alternative over the standard Fedner copy lines. I assume the same for bass. I have played other Tokai J's, namely the Jazzy sound and this one feels different. Like playing a new MIA J vs one that is 35-40 years old.

Wish I could find more info but what we do know is these are much more rare.

Thanks for all the notes on this listing. I am confident this one will find a good new home soon.

I did have some PM from others who have not posted so if you are reading, your PMs are replied to.

Best.

RBM

14. Ah! I am not up on my Tokia names!

Thanks to you and the OP for explaining.

Looks like a great bass, Wish you luck on the sale, If I had the funds I'd grab just to check it out. I bet I would love it!

15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.