1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tokai Jazz Sound Reissue in my sights

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Apr 24, 2018.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    I'm looking to buy my first fretless and a local guy is willing to sell him JS (reissue, I think) bass, what do you guys think these should run assuming that it plays fine? Here's a few photos he sent over... Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  2. Here in Europe 80's Tokais fetch the same as 80's Fenders. Extremely good basses.

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Tokais are like really really good vintage Fenders without the ski jump neck. I sold my '66 P bass as my Tokai played much better.
    I paid 900$cdn which was on the high side, but its such a nice bass. Its gat a flame maple neck with a bit of birdseye in it. I put passive bartolini's and a stock bridge.
    Ajazzbody.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    eastcoasteddie likes this.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have an 80's P bass that is great; never changed the pup; neck is much straighter that a lot of Fenders
    Have no idea about basses produced in more recent times

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    Thanks, Gents! I ended up passing on the Tokai. Pretty though it was, I couldn't see parting with the $$ for a later version bass when I was getting 95% of what I need from my main squeeze. :)