Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tokai P-Bass, Incredible!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacove, Apr 19, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

just wanna share an experience I had going to the local music store the other day...While fooling around with some basses I stumbled over this cheap japnese built Tokai P-bass, classis sunburst+rosewood, and man did it blow me away...the tone was full, growly and sustained for days. At first I thought this might be my ears that fooled me, then I grabbed a Fender Am. Reissue and a vintage 1965 P bass and the Tokai still had me jumping....Now is this possible that such a cheap bass might be that "Good", everybody in the store agreed that it sounded awesome....anyone got similar experiences???....the only thing that bothered me was the funny shaped headstock, but I guess that can be fixed... ;)

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep. I've a Oscar Schmidt(Washburn) Delta King that sounds like my Orion and play like my Jazz. Its become my third fav bass to play.

3. Tokai makes some great stuff. A friend of mine has a Tokai "Love Rock" which is a Les Paul, and it plays better than any paul I have found. I believe Tokai was part of the lawsuit years with Ibanez and they make some nice stuff.

4. how much is cheap?
    did you buy it?

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    well, cheap is of course relative, but it costs the same as a Fender Mexico bass, I have not bought it yet, but it is put aside for me, so I probably will next week, I just don't know if it the right bass, My ears definetely tell me that it is!!!!

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I bought a Tokai P-J back in '85 and it nailed the vintage Fender vibe in tone and feel. I heard they ended up making some of the Fender Japan stuff.

I've played a few others over the years and I actually prefer them to comparable Fenders because of their consistency.

It was so Fendery that when I eventually repainted it Seafoam Green I made a copycat logo for the headstock spelled Phender :)