Tokai Talbo Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glohgloh, Sep 7, 2005.

1. glohgloh

Sep 5, 2005
    Hi all
    I am interested in getting a new Tokai Talbo Bass - model B124 / metal body & wood neck.
    I am told that Tokai no longer exist and another company now make the Talbo Basses.... Is this true?
    If so, what is the bass like??.... quality, workmanship??... Is it put together well?....
    What does the bass sound like.... hollow metal body??... any tuning or feedback problems??
    Does anybody know how the round pick up unit works... re adjusting pole piece height for each string??.... do the 4 individual, round string pu units turn on like a screw thread system??... Looks like they do (from photos), but maybe I'm wrong.
    I'm looking for a bass with an even response across all strings... so difficult to come across.
    I thought the metal body maybe the way to go.
    I am also a big fan of the "piano bass" sound... plectrum / Entwistle like!!
    Would the Talbo come close??
    I would really appreciate any comments or advice.
  2. Tokai seems to be alive and well, even though their website haven't been updated in about a year, and still make Talbo basses and guitars as far as I can tell. Not that I've actually seen one in person or anything, but still.
    You might also want to visit the Tokai forum and post all your questions not answered here over there.
  3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Never had a Talbot in my hot little hands, but their more tradition Fender copies are of excellent quality, the best ones coming from the early 80's before Fender put a stop to them making exact and superior copies to what they were putting out. The Talbot does look pretty cool.

Tokai is around, but it's hard to get them in the US. Most of the new ones come out of Canada.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Out of curiousity, what do they sell for?
  5. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I paid about $650 for a new one w/TKL case, a couple years ago.
  6. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Is this $650 Canadian or US?
  7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Fender didn't actually stop them, they started putting Fender logos on them. Tokai was one of the companies making Japanese Fender instruments for a while.

I had an '85 PJ with no pickguard and a snipped headstock which I think was enough change to not be a copy. It was as good as any Fender and better than most :)