1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tokai TPB-57 Consensus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ohhellothere, Mar 26, 2013.

1. ohhellothere

ohhellothere Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    What's the general consensus on Tokai TPB 57's? Anyone have personal experience with them? Any knocks? Considering purchasing one with the pointy headstock and Fender font "T", looks like a "7" so it should be from 1983-1984.

2. I've seen 'em around back in the day, but I never paid 'em no mind. Why? Because "It's not a brand-name bass." That was my idiotic response as a youngster. Now? Some of those Tokai Basses fetch some pretty good money. I've seen the Tokai "Hard Puncher" (I think?) go for close to a grand before. As of late, I've seen people rave about 'em. How much do you plan on paying for it? Got any pics?

3. That's a lot of money for a bass that can be bought in Ibanez Roadstar form for way cheaper. Maybe the Ibby name isn't as sexy but it sounds just as awesome.

4. ohhellothere

ohhellothere Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm eying one right now for under $500, seems to be in pretty good shape minus some chips through the finish on the back. I'm just mainly wondering if their builds received any knocks from experienced owners.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have played a few Tokai's mostly P basses and they were all very well made and great sounding basses. Most early MIJ bases from those factories were great and are being bought up tody. Many consider Tokai to be better built then anything Fender was putting out back then...I agree.