1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available Tokai TPB '57 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Sosa, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Sosa

Sosa

Sep 28, 2013
    San Diego
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hello T.B.

1980's Tokai TPB '57 Precision

If you know about Tokai, you know how great these basses are. This one is like an old '57 P-Bass. It has a Sunburst Finish, Alder Body, Gold Anodized Pickguard, Maple Neck/Fingerboard - nut width is 1 5/8", big chunky profile, Vintage Style Bridge. Weighs right at 9 lbs. All original. The bass has some "roadworn" wear, but still is in very good condition and has a great vintage vibe. Truss rod works and the neck is straight. It's strung with D'Addario semi Flats and it has a funky, powerful sound.

Unfortunately, some previous owner (who was a knucklehead), sanded off the Tokai decal from the headstock. I guess he wasn't proud of his top-quality, Japanese bass You can still see where it says "Tokai", and this headstock is the mid-80's shape you'll see in Tokai catalogues. It's definitely a Tokai TPB '57, but if the missing decal is a deal-breaker, then this isn't for you.

Price Include shipped CONUS Only
    Paypal

Any Question via PM please

Link for the Pictures:
    Tokai - Google Drive

IMG_9185.JPG

G RICH 5, devnulljp and detoxxx like this.
  2. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    This model was actually called the Hard Puncher, wasn't it?

Funny, I have been kind of looking for one of these, with this finish, for a while... there was was in my mom's music store back when I was about 18 or 19, that I used to play in-store a lot, was a little nostalgic for that. Could not find one, and instead just bought a Fender 50's classic with this finish scheme and same specs.

Timing is everything. GLWTS, classic bass right here.

Sosa likes this.
  3. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Who the heck wouldn't dig "Hard Puncher" on their Headstock!?! These are GREAT vintage basses! GLWTS

4. Sosa

Sosa

Sep 28, 2013
    San Diego
    This is how the original decals looks.
    p3_ulheidiuc_so_1024x1024.

oranje and Plutonium244 like this.
  5. Sosa

Sosa

Sep 28, 2013
    San Diego
    BUMP

6. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    The only thing better is a bass that says "hard puncher" on the headstock, and "badass" on the bridge. There would be a lot debate as to whether you'd be a "Badass Hard Puncher" or a "Hard Punching Badass".

G RICH 5, Sosa, oranje and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sosa

Sosa

Sep 28, 2013
    San Diego
    BUMP

8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    These are great, had a few over the years and still have one. Good old school P thang!

Sosa likes this.