Tokyo Luthier / set-up recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kumimajava, Jan 25, 2017.

1. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    I know this is a long-shot, and apologies if this not the appropriate place to post this question, but...

I'm currently living in Tokyo, and not sure where I could take my bass to get it properly adjusted. I don't speak (much) Japanese, so looking at local forums is unlikely. I've gone through a few of the main shops in Kanda/Shinjuku and Shibuya, but it's hard to guess as to where I might find a competent luthier. The one attempt I had with Ishibashi yielded poor results...

So: if anyone would have a recommendation for a particular shop/luthier in Tokyo (or somewhere nearby), I would be very grateful for recommendations.

Thanks in advance :)

2. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Bacoli, Italy
    Hey! I live near Tokyo myself. I think your best bet might be Miyaji music in Kanda, or maybe Grandey & Jungle in Shibuya. Those shops both seem to know their stuff and could at least refer you to a good bass setup. I never had a bass setup at these places, I do my own setups.
    Have you been to the shops in Ochanomizu? There are a few genuine luthiers mixed in there.
    Ishibashi is like the Japanese GC, but WAY more awesome...lol

kumimajava likes this.
  3. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Great - thanks for the recommendations :) Yes, I've been to Ochanomizu a few times, and that's where my less-than-stellar adventure with Ishibashi happened (long story, let's see how it ends).

Regarding the luthiers around there - which shops in particular would those be? Would certainly want to pay them a visit in the future :)

4. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Bacoli, Italy
    I'm hesitant to recommend one because I've never used them. But the ESP workshops seem to know their stuff.
    I would walk around the shops since you're gonna do that anyway if you go there...lol. And see which ones have guys actually working on instruments.
    Miyaji is a 10 minute walk from Ochanomizu...I would start there. It's a pro-audio shop/school that sells guitars too.

5. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Cool - I'll have a look in Miyaji :)

Thanks again!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021