Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toledo, Detroit, Ann Arbor, BG area

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by chris4001asat, Mar 26, 2003.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Just bought my first db in December. From what I've been reading here, a setup is mandatory. It's a Knilling if that matters. I've asked around the shops here in Toledo, and they all seem scared when I mention a db. I'm looking for a pickup system to be installed as well. Any recomendations for shops would be appreciated. I keep seeing lessons are a plus as well. I would prefer lessons in Toledo, so again....any recommendations.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Depending on what pickup system you decide on, you may be able to install it yourself. I'd suggest checking up on the "Newbie Links" thread in AMPS & PICKUPS for info to help get you started on this decision. As far as luthiers go, a great place to start is (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's DB Luthier Directory, which can be found here:

http://www.urbbob.com/luthiers.html

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Thanks for the info! As I imagined, nothing within an hour drive! One shop here did have one Fishman bp-100. I unfortunately bought it, and installed it before I found this site. If I had only found this sooner, it would've saved me $100. I have the Fishman ProEQ, so I think I'm leaning towards the Full Circle.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    As long as you already have the Fishman, trying gluing it to the bridge instead of using those clips. Fishman suggests a small amount of hot glue. I've found that technique to be a big improvment over the clips.

As for shops: I like Wilson Fine Violins in Birmingham, Michigan. We have a number of good violin shops in Southeast Michigan, but Rob Wilson is one of only two I know of that specializes in basses. He makes bows, too.

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot. I've heard of Wilsons. I tried to email them from the addy in the luthier directory, but no luck. Looks like a nice drive to Birmingham is on my list of things to do! Would you happen to know what their weekend hours, if any, are?

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    They're open Saturday- something like 10-5. I just happen to have the phone number on my cell phone- never can tell when you'll have a bass emergency:

1 (248) 258-1125

7. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Great! Thanks for the help!

8. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think someone on this board also mentioned putting the fishman elements under the bridge feet?