Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tolex Avatars are a go!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by protoz, Oct 22, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Just being curious I decided to check eBay for avatar cabs and found this little guy

Green Tolex 1x12

Yea...I want one of those stat!

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Nice. I think he should do some of that Rhino covering stuff they put in the back trays of 4WD's etc. Cos tolex rips and carpets stinks :(

3. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    i sent Dave an email about whether he anticipated using tolex on the 2x12s. This is his response:

"HI possibly, thats why we are testing the market with some 112s on ebay...to see if guys would be interested in tolex bass cabs before we make a bunch of them....if and when we do , they will be in our website...THANKs......dave "

So, hopefully people will buy the tolex covered cabs.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If he had a 2x10Pro 8Ohm I would be all over it (green tolex plz!) but I don't need a single 12 on top of my 2x15 :S

5. Oh, I DO hope he makes a 212 w/ Tolex.

I do I do I do I do I do.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

D@mn! I own a B210 and an SB112 w/rat fur! I want mine re-done!! :scowl: Man, Dave is stepping up his game! First with the neo's, adding speakons, then the new crossover and now the tolex! The big boys better watch out!

7. I'll go on record that it is the only reason I do not yet own an Avatar offering. I despise rat fur.

I've seen a few avatar guitar cabs with tolex, so you think it'd be a given. Ozite is for pedalboard tops, not cab covering. :D

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll have to second the "rhino lined" remark.
    Tolex rips, and carpet absorbs smoke.
    Dr. Bass shoot their cabs with something like bedliner...
    Nice to see Dave offering options. I had an sb112 for a while, and liked it, and found avatar to be a good company to deal with.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Bedliner covering please. The carpet and tolex is for the birds.

10. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    great idea those tolex cabs, juste put tan grill cloth and i'll buy, LOL

11. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    Well, I inquired about a tolex 212 since I am planning on getting a b212. Looks like it wont be till next year if at all according to Dave. :crying:

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I wish more cab makers offered the option to put on what Dr. Bass applies.

13. Honestly guys, if you have such a thing for rhino liner, buy the kit for 80 bucks and spray it yourself. A gallon would be more than enough for a few cabs. You can wish a million makers to offer it, but it's labor intensive, and need special equipment, spray booths, and possibly EPA approval and all that, whereas tolex and ozite simply don't. They require a table, a razorknife and some jigs possibly, and if necessary, some contact cement.

There's your answer. Just be thankful you will be getting the option the majority of people want in an avatar. I'd like cabs dipped in liquid gold, but I'll settle for tolex. Sure it rips, but rhino cover isn't exactly bulletproof. It's just rubberized coating.