Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tolex or Carpet covered cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 24, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Which do you like?

Carpet looks nicer. but when you practice in basements and garages, they can get stained or have other piece of carpet rub onto them or cat hair.

Tolex, holds up nicely, not to attractive but gets the job done.

seems like newer cabs have carpet, aguilar, avatar. and older style cabs have tolex, like ampeg.

but also i forgot to mention the classic tuck n roll cabs...

2. I vote for carpet! Carpet can take dings that leave Tolex visibly punctured, and unless you take the time to glue it up again and make it look nice, it doesn't! You do have to keep the porous/fluff aspect of carpet in mind, if you have pets, or keep it in a dusty area. Best to have some kind of cover, even just a drop cloth. I've had mold issues with one of my carpeted cabs (which got wet on the bottom), which may not yet be solved, but I'd still take it over a vinyl covered cab that you can't even brush against something without scarring it.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Every tolex cab I've ever had has gotten ripped up in no time at all. Every other person's tolex cab I have seen who gigs regularly looks battered and tattered. ALL of the carpeted cabs I've owned have held up pretty well.

One of the sound companies my band uses has had its sub bins covered with truck bed rhino liner. That stuff is inpenetrable and is holding up to abuse perfectly.

4. Yeah, the spray on stuff (whether it's some sort of lacquer or textured material) is very good, and can be very hard to deface. It must be way easier to mass produce a cab with it too (well, maybe..., not necessarily cheaper). The only thing I wouldn't like about it, and the thing I like about carpet, is the aesthetic angle. I use the top of my amp to put things on, like tuners, picks, direct boxes, etc. That stuff vibrates right off Tolex, and probably more so on a hard finish.

The only company I'm aware of right now that uses a hard finish on a consumer bass cab is Carvin on their BRX line of speakers. Haven't seen any feedback on them here yet.

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Tolex would be my vote. The Polymer coatings mentioned previous are very durable and better than Tolex or carpet. 'Dr. Bass Cabs' coat all their cabs in the durable Polymer and it looks incredible.

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm a fan of tolex, carpet looks ok too, btu to me tolex just looks so sleek.

7. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I'm a fan of carpet. I think it looks a lot cooler and doesn't rip. The tolex on my previous amp is pretty messed up. That being said, I just bought an Acoustic 361 which is basically just one big mass of tolex. It's a good thing I don't have too much of a preference. :p

8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I have to say it's Tolex/vinyl for me. That mouse fur stuff (Ozite, carpet, etc.) is fine when it's clean, but two cats, a spilled Coke/Beer, and a smoky club will cure you of that fetish real fast.

Of course, what I'd *really* like is real leather...

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Carpet is my choice but it gets dirt too easily.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm a carpet fan myself. Natural wood looks awesome, but you have to have good cases for it.

Actually, why not coarse grit sandpaper? :p

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Carpeted cabs make GREAT scratching posts for cats! :bag: